How good is to study from 3 Books at the same time?

In summary, using more than one book at a time can help you better understand the concepts and learn more proofs.
alba_ei
In calculus, how good is to study from 2 or 3 Books at the same time? This is, for instance, study concepts and excercises based on the first (Stewart) and use the othes (Thomas and Edwards&Penney) for excercises.

Is this a waste of time? Should I use only one?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I have heard Stewart is up there with Penny...
But why don't you look at concepts from both books and work problems from both books if needed?
Work through the proofs though.

for all my math and science classes, i use 2 books ... for reading and exercises, but 3 is overkill ... i think you'll get exhausted. get the book you truly want to learn from and always have the book that your assigned.

In regards to learning and understanding, I would stick with the book that your professor teaches you from. More than likely the book and he "speak" the same language, so the concepts you read about will fit in with what he teaches you in class. However, I like keeping an extra book around to use for its practice problems because different books tend to throw differently worded problems at you. Therefore, you will be less likely to memorize a style of problem phrasing and be more likely to learn the principles behind solving that problem. One notable exception to this is the Feynman Lectures. I use those books for learning, understanding, and problem solving, but only because they teach with a clarity and phrasing that can compliment any other book's or professor's way of teaching.

instead of two books which are virtually identical, like stewarta nd edwards penney, wny not two different books, like edwards penney, and courant?

when i am teaching a hard course like galois theory, or abstract algebra in general i may use 10-15 books for my own reference, as usually no one book covers all topics equally well.

It is always an excellent idea to study from multiple books at once. The differences in perspective and pedagogy can be enormous, and you will benefit greatly from them.

- Warren

here is a trivial little bonus i got from using extra books in my reals course as a senior. one of those books had a theorem i learned that our prof did not teach, but he put it on our final. and i nailed it.

Haha. :rofl:

Would you recommend focusing on one book and using the others as supplements or using each book independently (i.e. reading each one from cover to cover)?

I am studying single variable calculus from: Calculus Volume I, Apostol; Calculus, Spivak; and Differential and Integral Calculus Volume I, Courant.

For classical mechanics I have been using: The Feynman Lectures on Physics Volume I, Feynman; An Introduction to Mechanics, Kleppner; Newtonian Mechanics, French; and The Mechanical Universe (Advanced Edition), Frautschi.

I would like to know how to study from these most efficiently. Each is excellent, in my opinion, in a different way. Currently I am going through each independently, but I don't know if this is the best way.

Thanks!
Forrest T.

If I supplement one book on each topic with the others, which should it be. Because my focus is physics, I was thinking Differential and Integral Calculus Volume I (due to the physics applications) and An Introduction to Mechanics (the most advanced mechanics book), but what does everyone else think? I appreciate the advice.

Forrest T.

What should I do if the books differ in organization? E.g. in Apostol, the integral comes before the derivative, while vice-versa in Spivak.

1. Is it more efficient to study from multiple books at the same time?

It depends on the individual's learning style and the complexity of the material. Some people may find it helpful to cross-reference information from different sources, while others may become overwhelmed and confused. It is important to find a study method that works best for you.

2. Will studying from multiple books improve my retention of information?

Again, this depends on the individual. Some may find that studying from multiple books helps them retain information better, while others may find it too distracting. It is important to experiment and find what works best for you.

3. Can studying from multiple books at the same time lead to confusion?

Yes, it is possible to become confused if the books cover similar topics but present them in different ways. It is important to make sure the books are complementary and not contradictory. It may also be helpful to take notes and organize the information in a way that makes sense to you.

4. Are there any benefits to studying from multiple books at the same time?

Studying from multiple books can provide a broader understanding of a topic and help you see connections between different concepts. It can also expose you to different perspectives and help you think critically about the material.

5. How can I effectively study from multiple books at the same time?

One way to effectively study from multiple books is to create a schedule and allocate specific times to each book. This will help you stay focused and manage your time efficiently. It may also be helpful to take breaks in between each book to give your brain a rest and avoid becoming overwhelmed.