How can a conductor of uniform charge density exist

In summary, a solid of uniform charge density is not a conductor. There can't be any electric field inside it or any charge because the particles will take care of it.
sumit_rai
Please tell me if by gauss law total electric field inide a solid conductor is zero... how can uniform charge density exists...

Will there be any electric field inside a charged conductor ? or will it be always zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
can there be an electric field inside a solid of uniform charge density

By Gauss law electric field inside a conductor is zero ... then how can there be an electric field inside a solid of uniform charge density. Please tell me .

sumit_rai said:
By Gauss law electric field inside a conductor is zero ... then how can there be an electric field inside a solid of uniform charge density. Please tell me .

Gauss' law tell you that there is no charge inside a conductor because
[tex]
E=0\to\nabla \cdot E=0\to\rho=0
[/tex]

A solid of *uniform* charge density necessarily has a nonzero electric field inside it (and outside it) by gauss' law as well. If the solid is spherically symmetric then you can easily figure out what the field must be using the integral form of Gauss' law.

A conductor is not a solid of uniform charge density.

double posting, eh? That's not nice.

the electric field is zero inside a conductor, though not "by gauss' law". It is by gauss' law that you know there is no charge in the meat of a conductor... oh, I'm repeating myself, this is answered on your *other* thread.

Thanks for a reply , another doubt that i have

olgranpappy said:
Gauss' law tell you that there is no charge inside a conductor because
[tex]
E=0\to\nabla \cdot E=0\to\rho=0
[/tex]

A solid of *uniform* charge density necessarily has a nonzero electric field inside it (and outside it) by gauss' law as well. If the solid is spherically symmetric then you can easily figure out what the field must be using the integral form of Gauss' law.

A conductor is not a solid of uniform charge density.

If a conductor cannot be a solid of uniform charge density... then what type of material is a solid of uniform charge density ... is it a mixture of conductor and non conductor... does it even exist ?

olgranpappy said:
double posting, eh? That's not nice.

the electric field is zero inside a conductor, though not "by gauss' law". It is by gauss' law that you know there is no charge in the meat of a conductor... oh, I'm repeating myself, this is answered on your *other* thread.

Thanks, for answering... sorry for double posting. I still have a doubt. its posted at the other post.

The approximation of continuous media is just that--an approximation.

A solid of uniform charge density is not a conductor.

It can be felt very easily if u take this picture in your mind.
Since it is a conductor,so has number of free electrons.Hence any charge that is inside the conductor or any field if exists will be instantly taken care of by these particles.Hence there can't be any field or any charge inside conductor as in ELECTROSTATICS.

1. How can a conductor have a uniform charge density?

In a conductor, the electrons are free to move and redistribute themselves. This allows the charge to spread evenly throughout the conductor, resulting in a uniform charge density.

2. What is the significance of a conductor having uniform charge density?

A conductor with uniform charge density creates an electric field that is constant throughout the conductor. This allows for a stable flow of electricity and is essential for many electrical devices to function properly.

3. Can a conductor have a non-uniform charge density?

Yes, a conductor can have a non-uniform charge density if the charge is not distributed evenly. This can occur if there are areas of higher or lower charge concentration within the conductor.

4. What factors affect the charge density of a conductor?

The charge density of a conductor can be affected by the size and shape of the conductor, the material it is made of, and the surrounding electric field. Additionally, the presence of other charged objects nearby can also influence the charge density.

5. How does the charge density of a conductor affect its electrical properties?

The charge density of a conductor affects its capacitance, which is the ability to store electrical charge. A higher charge density results in a higher capacitance, meaning the conductor can hold more charge at a given voltage. Additionally, the charge density also determines the strength of the electric field within the conductor.