Design a mechanism which knocks over can

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with designing a mechanism that can be placed inside a can and will knock it over after a 6-second delay. The person has no limitations on technology but is not allowed to use fire. Ideas such as a firecracker, balloon and candle, or a rotating mass with a timer mechanism are discussed. The person also mentions that the can must have a closed top and cannot be turned upside down. The conversation ends with a reminder that the PF does not give out answers for homework or coursework questions.
key
I really need help fast. I need to design a mechanism which has to be placed inside a can. The purpose of the mechanism is to knock the can over. I also have to have a 6 seconds delay before the can is to tip.
I can use any kind of can
thank you

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What are your initial thoughts? Is the only limitation that the mechanism fit in side the can? Any other limits on materials or technology? Are you actually going to build it, or just write up the plans?

Programmable electric shock collar for a gerbil?

This sounds like homework. Do you have any ideas already key?

no see the ideas i had were the same as others and only one person can use an idea
there are no limits on technology

Okay, I have a good one, but I'm not sure they will allow it. Can you use a small firecracker? If not, maybe a baloon and a candle...

berkeman said:
Okay, I have a good one, but I'm not sure they will allow it. Can you use a small firecracker? If not, maybe a baloon and a candle...

No, a baloon and a 6 second fuse...that would work, and be reasonably safe.

i am sorry but is there anything that does not involve fire

Also how would i set up the fuse and balloon

Last edited:
key said:
i am sorry but is there anything that does not involve a fuse or fire

Sure. You're not allowed any fire, eh? Probably a smart move by the instructor.

Okay, you can still use the baloon idea (Quiz Question -- what do you need to do inside the open-top can to turn the bursting baloon into a sideways directed air jet?). You just need to come up with a 6-second timer mechanism that pops the baloon when it expires. I can think of a couple ways of doing it, but will leave that for you to do. Tell us what you come up with.

i am sorry but i really don't know please please help and the can top has to be closed

key said:
i am sorry but i really don't know please please help and the can top has to be closed

Well you didn't say that before. Please be precise -- we could have both saved a lot of time.

So you need a moving mass inside, right? With a closed can, there would seem to be no other option. Translation and rotation would seem to be two options. Tell us how you could use rotation... And tell us some of your ideas for how to time the 6 seconds. BTW, how are you supposed to initiate the start of this 6 second timer if the can is sealed up?

sorry you can make holes inside the can or the lid for the trigger

Last edited:
berkeman said:
(Quiz Question -- what do you need to do inside the open-top can to turn the bursting baloon into a sideways directed air jet?).

That's a mean question! If you think about conservation of momentum, some of the "obvious" answers probably won't work.

Anyway, who said the can has to have an open top? Is there any rule that says you can't turn the can upside down and have an open base (i.e. start your device, put the can over it, and wait for 6 seconds...)

(Edit: I posted that before I saw your post about "the can has to be closed")

Last edited:
the can has to be upward you can not turn upside down

key said:
sorry you can make holes inside the can or the lid for the trigger

Well, there you go then. Rotating mass with an energy source, and a timer mechanism for the trigger. Sketch it up, get it approved, and start building!

sorry but I still don't know what to do

key said:
sorry but I still don't know what to do

You are not trying very hard. We do not give out answers here on the PF to homework and coursework questions. Those questions are normally supposed to go in the Homework Help forums, and you are required to show your work and efforts in order for us to be able to help you. Please review the PF rules if you haven't seen them already:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

I've allowed this question to stay here in the general technical forums, because questions about projects are allowed in the technical forums, although that is usually reserved for more advanced upper division projects.

Now, we are not going to give you a design here. That is your job as a student to use what you are learning in the class, plus use some of your creativity, to come up with ideas and pick the best one and build and test it. We can give you some global ideas and things to think about, but we will NOT hand you a design.

Now look at what I've posted as my latest hints, and start sketching. What is a simple way to store energy for a rotating mass? What would be some potential ways to time 6 seconds (without any fire as you say)? How could you make a mechanism to trigger the release of the stored energy as the timer expires?

sorry but i am trying hard and like i said before all my ideas have been taken in my class so i can not use them

key said:
sorry but i am trying hard and like i said before all my ideas have been taken in my class so i can not use them

Please go ahead and post a list for us of your ideas so far that are taken.

i figured it out thanks

key said:
i figured it out thanks

Figured out how to build your project, or figured out how the PF works? :rolleyes:

What is the purpose of designing a mechanism to knock over a can?

The purpose of designing a mechanism to knock over a can is to demonstrate the principles of physics and mechanics. It can also be used as a fun and interactive way to learn about force, motion, and energy.

What materials are needed to build a mechanism to knock over a can?

The materials needed may vary depending on the design, but commonly used materials include a can, a wooden board, a lever or pulley system, rubber bands, and objects to act as weights or counterweights.

How does a lever or pulley system work in knocking over a can?

A lever or pulley system uses the principles of mechanical advantage to amplify the force applied to the can, making it easier to knock over. By moving the fulcrum or changing the direction of the force, the lever or pulley system can increase the applied force and knock over the can.

What factors can affect the success of a mechanism in knocking over a can?

The success of a mechanism in knocking over a can can be affected by factors such as the weight and size of the can, the design and stability of the mechanism, and the force applied to the mechanism. Other external factors such as friction and air resistance can also play a role.

What are some real-life applications of designing a mechanism to knock over a can?

The principles and concepts used in designing a mechanism to knock over a can can be applied in various industries, such as engineering, robotics, and manufacturing. It can also be used in educational settings to teach physics and engineering concepts. Additionally, knocking over cans is a popular game or activity at carnivals and fairs.