Induced charge - infinite plates

In summary, the problem involves two thin plates with surface charge densities of \sigma and \sigma_{1} respectively. An uncharged conducting slab is placed in between the plates and then above \sigma. The induced charge densities on the surfaces of the slab in each configuration can be found by considering the fields created by the charges on the plates and the charge induced on the slab surface. In the first configuration, the charge densities on the neutral surface will be -\sigma and -\sigma_{1}. In the second configuration, the charge densities will be -\sigma - \sigma_{1} and \sigma + \sigma_{1}. To find the induced charge densities, the total field inside the slab must be equal to 0,
mitleid
No numbers here - purely conceptual.

Two thin plates carry total surface charge densities of [tex]\sigma[/tex] and [tex]\sigma_{1}[/tex] respectively. An uncharged conducting slab is placed in between the charged plates, and then above [tex]\sigma[/tex]. What are the induced charged densities on the surfaces of the conducting slab in each of the configurations?

The problem also states that 'polarities of those charges ([tex]\sigma[/tex]) are not specified and should be treated algebraically'.

Every example I can find using infinite parallel plates has to do with opposite charged densities. However, this problem does not denote opposite charges of the plates, and I'm not quite sure how to treat this algebraically.

For the first configuration (in between), since each of these plates is charged it will induce the opposite charge on the conductive surface in order to create a potential flow. So my first guess is the charge densities on the -neutral- surface will become -[tex]\sigma[/tex] and -[tex]\sigma_{1}[/tex].

When it is placed outside the plates the neutral surface will only take on a partial charge from the nearest plate (which is actually [tex]\sigma[/tex]).

Bit of an odd question that I could definitely use some help with.

Physics news on Phys.org
The field due to an infinite plate is charge density/2epsilon. You need the field inside the slab to be 0... you also need the net charge inside the field to be 0...

Suppose k is the charge density on one side of the slab... then -k is the charge density on the other side (since it's neutral).

What is the total field inside the slab (you have 4 infinite plates) in terms of the respective charge densities... they add to 0... solve for k.

Same idea in the second part, except the directions are different.

You mean the net charge of the slab needs to be 0, right?

So what I eventually got based on what you told me (I think) is k = -[tex]\sigma[/tex] and -k = [tex]\sigma_{1}[/tex]. So basically the charge density on the surface of the slab is the inverse of the corresponding plate charge density? I hope that's right...

When the slab is placed outside the plates, their E fields add together to make ([tex]\sigma[/tex] + [tex]\sigma_{1}[/tex])/2epsilon. The field from the slab surface with charge k must equal this for the field within it to be = 0.

This eventually leads to k = -[tex]\sigma[/tex] -[tex]\sigma_{1}[/tex] and the opposite (sigma plus sigma one) for -k.

Is this correct? It's somewhat similar to my original answer where for the inside k = sigma minus sigma one, and for the outside k = sigma plus sigma one.

At least it's close!

I think you're partially doing it right... we want to make sure the field inside the slab is 0.

For the first part: The field due to [tex]\sigma[/tex] is [tex]\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}[/tex]

Now the [tex]\sigma_1[/tex] is on the other side of the slab... it creates a field inside the slab of [tex]\frac{-\sigma_1}{2\epsilon}[/tex]

The k charge creates a field of [tex]\frac{k}{2\epsilon}[/tex] the -k charge also creates a field of [tex]\frac{k}{2\epsilon}[/tex]... because it is on the opposite side...

So the total needs to be zero. Hence [tex]\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}+ \frac{-\sigma_1}{2\epsilon} + 2* \frac{k}{2\epsilon} = 0[/tex]. so you can solve for k.

In the second case we get: [tex]\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}+ \frac{\sigma_1}{2\epsilon} + 2* \frac{k}{2\epsilon} = 0[/tex]. so solve for k here...

1. What is induced charge?

Induced charge is the creation of an electric charge on an object due to the presence of another nearby charged object. This occurs when the electric field of the nearby charged object causes a redistribution of charges on the surface of the other object.

2. How does induction work on infinite plates?

In induction on infinite plates, the presence of a charged object causes a redistribution of charges on the surface of the infinite plates. This results in the creation of an electric field between the plates, which can then cause charges to move within the plates.

3. What is the difference between induced charge on infinite plates and finite plates?

The main difference between induced charge on infinite plates and finite plates is that infinite plates have an infinite surface area, while finite plates have a limited surface area. This means that the electric field and induced charges on infinite plates are more uniform and continuous, while on finite plates they may be more concentrated in certain areas.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the induced charge?

The distance between the plates has a direct effect on the magnitude of the induced charge. As the distance between the plates increases, the electric field between them decreases, resulting in a smaller induced charge on the plates. Similarly, if the distance decreases, the induced charge will increase.

5. Can induced charge on infinite plates be negative?

Yes, induced charge on infinite plates can be negative. This occurs when the nearby charged object has a negative charge, causing opposite charges to be induced on the surface of the infinite plates. The magnitude of the induced charge will depend on the strength of the nearby charge and the distance between the plates.