Non-homogeneous differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses using Euler-Cauchy to solve the equation (x^2)y'' - 2xy + 2y = (x^3)sinx. The speaker has made a mistake in finding the homogeneous equation and is advised to use the correct solution y1 = x and y2 = x^2. The conversation also mentions difficulty in solving integrals and confirms that the right track has been taken.
kasse
How can I solve (x^2)y'' - 2xy + 2y = (x^3)sinx ?

I've used Euler-Caucy to find the homogeneous eq. (C1)e^x + (C2)e^2x. Then I've calculated the wronski (either e^3x or -e^3x depending on which function is y1 and y2). The rest involves solving the integral of xsin(x)/e^x and xsin(x)/e^2x, whics seems quite difficult. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
kasse said:
How can I solve (x^2)y'' - 2xy + 2y = (x^3)sinx ?

I've used Euler-Caucy to find the homogeneous eq. (C1)e^x + (C2)e^2x.
You've done that wrong. If y= ex, then y'= y"= ex. Putting those into the homogeneous equation, [itex]x^2e^x- 2xe^2+ 2e^x= (x^2- 2x+2)e^x[/itex] NOT 0. The same is true for e2x: it is clearly NOT a solution. (I'm assuming that "2xy" was supposed to be 2xy'.) I thought perhaps you had confused this with a "constant coefficients" equation but ex and e2x do not satisfy y"- 2y'+ 2y= 0 either, the satisfy y"- 3y'+2y=0. This is an "Euler type" or "equi-potential" equation. You can convert it into a constant coefficients equation, in t, by making the change of variable t= ln(x). Hmm. It converts to y"- 3y'+ 2y= 0 which DOES have et and e2t as solutions! It looks like eln(x)= x and e2ln(x)= x2 are solutions to your homogeneous equation.

Then I've calculated the wronski (either e^3x or -e^3x depending on which function is y1 and y2). The rest involves solving the integral of xsin(x)/e^x and xsin(x)/e^2x, whics seems quite difficult. Am I on the right track?
Redo the Wronskian, using y1= x and y2= x2.

Ah, of course, Euler-Cauchy. Thanks, now I got the right answer.

1. What is a non-homogeneous differential equation?

A non-homogeneous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives, where the function is not equal to zero. This means that the equation contains terms that do not cancel out, unlike a homogeneous differential equation where all the terms can be divided by the function.

2. How is a non-homogeneous differential equation different from a homogeneous differential equation?

A non-homogeneous differential equation contains a function that is not equal to zero, while a homogeneous differential equation has a function that is equal to zero. This means that solving a non-homogeneous differential equation requires an additional term that is not present in a homogeneous differential equation.

3. What are the methods for solving non-homogeneous differential equations?

There are several methods for solving non-homogeneous differential equations, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. These methods involve finding a particular solution and a complementary solution, and then combining them to get the general solution.

4. What is the importance of non-homogeneous differential equations in science?

Non-homogeneous differential equations are used to model many real-world phenomena in science, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. By solving these equations, scientists and engineers can make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems.

5. Can non-homogeneous differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, non-homogeneous differential equations can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of a non-homogeneous differential equation contains a particular solution and a complementary solution, and there can be multiple combinations of these solutions that satisfy the equation. However, the uniqueness theorem states that the initial conditions can determine a unique solution.