Find the equation of a ellipse given the foci. (1,0) (3,4)

• Thread starter Mary89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the general equation of an ellipse in standard form is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse, and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively. The center of the ellipse can be found by taking the midpoint between the foci, and the eccentricity can be found using the formula e = c/a, where c is the distance between the foci and a is the length of the semi-major axis. The lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes can be found using the distance formula and the Pythagorean theorem. To graph the ellipse, you can
Mary89
Find the equation of a ellipse given the foci. (1,0) (3,4)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You should provide some workings to show what you have tried. What properties about ellipses and their foci do you know?

The locations of the foci are not enough to determine the ellipse. You also need to specify an additional parameter, say the minor radius, which can be any positive number.

1. What is the general equation of an ellipse given the foci?

The general equation of an ellipse in standard form is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse, and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

2. How do I find the center of the ellipse with the given foci?

The center of the ellipse can be found by taking the midpoint between the foci, which in this case would be ((1+3)/2, (0+4)/2) = (2,2). This point will be the (h,k) values in the general equation of the ellipse.

3. Can I find the eccentricity of the ellipse with just the foci?

Yes, the eccentricity of an ellipse can be found by the formula e = c/a, where c is the distance between the foci and a is the length of the semi-major axis. In this case, the distance between the foci is √((3-1)^2 + (4-0)^2) = √20, and the semi-major axis is (3-1)/2 = 1. Therefore, the eccentricity is √20/1 = √20.

4. How do I find the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes with just the foci?

The lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes can be found by using the distance formula. The length of the semi-major axis is half the distance between the foci, so in this case, it would be √((3-1)^2 + (4-0)^2)/2 = √10. The length of the semi-minor axis can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, so it would be √(a^2 - c^2) = √(10-5) = √5.

5. How can I graph the ellipse with the given foci?

To graph the ellipse, you can use the center point and the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes to plot the four vertices of the ellipse. Then, use a compass to draw the ellipse by setting the compass to the length of the semi-major axis and drawing arcs from each vertex. Finally, connect the arcs to create the ellipse.