Person's acceleration and object's acceleration

In summary, in this problem a man with a mass of 80 kg exerts a force of 150 N on a 500 kg object with no external forces acting on it. To calculate the acceleration of the man, we use the formula a = f/m, resulting in a = 150 N/80 kg. To calculate the acceleration of the object, we use the same formula, resulting in a = 150 N/500 kg. It is important to draw a Free body diagram and establish a coordinate system to correctly determine the direction of the acceleration.
pebbles

Homework Statement

A man with mass 80 kg exerts force of 150 N on 500 kg object. What is his accleration and what is the acceleration of the object? (assume no external forces)

Homework Equations

a=f/m

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure how to calculate the acceleration of object, but would i calculate the acceleration of the man like this--> a=150 N/80 kg...?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a Free body diagram. Mass of man, force horizontal on the 500kg object. With every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. When the forces have been solved and equal to each other. Solve the acceleration using a = 150 N/500kg for the acceleration of the object. The acceleration of the man is right what you put down. Just make sure you have it in the right direction

I'll answer other questions on my website listed in my profile.

accel. for object, would i put a negative sign in front of the answer since it's a problem dealing with Newton's third law..?

Well yea.. but draw your coordinate system in your Free body diagram. so that your teacher knows.

What is the difference between a person's acceleration and an object's acceleration?

The main difference between a person's acceleration and an object's acceleration is that a person's acceleration is typically caused by their own muscle movements, while an object's acceleration is caused by an external force acting upon it.

How is a person's acceleration measured?

A person's acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). This measurement is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

What factors can affect a person's acceleration?

A person's acceleration can be affected by their mass, the force they apply, and the friction or resistance they encounter in their environment.

Can a person's acceleration change?

Yes, a person's acceleration can change depending on the force being applied and the resistance encountered. For example, a person may accelerate faster when running downhill compared to running on a flat surface due to the force of gravity.

How do an object's mass and acceleration relate to each other?

The relationship between an object's mass and acceleration is described by Newton's second law of motion: Force = mass x acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it at a certain rate.