Using Differentials to find Error and Percent Error

In summary, the conversation discusses using differentials to estimate the error in computing the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle, given one side length and an angle measurement with a possible error of +/- 1 degree. The equation used is h(x)=20/sin(x) and the derivative is found to be -20cos(x)/sin(x)^2. The error is then calculated using the formula dh = h'(x)dx, where dx is the error in angle expressed in radians. The resulting error in the hypotenuse is found to be -1.209 cm. This can also be expressed as a percent error, which is approximately 3% of the hypotenuse length.
grapeape

Homework Statement

One side of a right triangle is known to be 20 cm long and the opposite angle is measured as 30(degrees), with a possible error of +/- 1 degree.
a) Use differentials to estimate the error in computing the length of the hypotenuse
b) what is the percentage error.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, using the given data I found that the hypotenuse when x=30(degrees) is 40 cm. The equation I used was h(x)=20/sin(x). I know that the change in (h) is equal to error x h'(x). When finding h'(x) I got -20cos(x)/sin(x)^2. I'm not sure if this is correct. My book doesn't do a great job at explaining anything so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're almost there. Expressed in terms of differentials, h' = dh/dx. So write dh in terms of dx. dx will represent the error in angle (be sure to express dx in radians, not degrees); the equation for dh will tell you the corresponding error in the hypotenuse.

so do I do ( -20cos(30)/sin(30)^2 ) x pi/180? if so I got -1.209. Can error be negative? Or since it's both +/- 1 degree, do you also do another equation multiplying by a negative pi/180. My real questions are, how is error represented (multiple numbers, one number, a continuum)? And, how do I go about converting this to a relative error, and then percent error.

Thanks!

grapeape said:
so do I do ( -20cos(30)/sin(30)^2 ) x pi/180? if so I got -1.209.
Looks good. The angle is 30 +/- 1 degrees, so the hypotenuse is 40 +/- 1.2 cm. You can express that as a percent error--what percent of 40 is 1.2?

I love this forum. Thanks for all the help!

1. What is the purpose of using differentials to find error and percent error?

The purpose of using differentials in this context is to quantify and measure the amount of error present in a calculation or measurement. This allows for a more accurate and precise understanding of the data and can help identify areas for improvement.

2. How do differentials help in finding error and percent error?

Differentials provide a way to approximate the change in a function or measurement over a small interval. This allows for a comparison between the actual value and the predicted value, revealing any discrepancies and providing a measure of error.

3. What is the formula for calculating differential error and percent error?

The formula for calculating differential error is: Differential Error = Actual Value - Predicted Value. The formula for percent error is: Percent Error = (|Actual Value - Predicted Value| / Actual Value) x 100%. Both of these formulas use the concept of differentials to find the error and percent error.

4. Can differentials be used to find error and percent error in any type of data?

Yes, differentials can be used to find error and percent error in various types of data, including mathematical functions, experimental measurements, and statistical data.

5. How can using differentials to find error and percent error benefit scientists?

Using differentials to find error and percent error can benefit scientists by providing a more accurate and precise understanding of their data. It can also help identify areas for improvement and guide future experiments or calculations. Additionally, it allows for a standardized way of quantifying error, making it easier to compare results between different studies and researchers.