Sphere: angle to begin sliding

In summary, the conversation was about finding the angle at which a small mass on a sphere would begin to slide, given the coefficient of static friction. The person initially used inverse cosine to calculate the angle, but later realized that they needed to use tangent instead. They also discussed other equations and the importance of considering the normal force and frictional force in their calculations.
Paulbird20
[SOLVED] Sphere: angle to begin sliding

Given a small mass on a sphere. Coef of static friction is .49 what angle would begin sliding.

I thought i would use inverse cos(.49/9.8) and i get 87 degrees but it is wrong any other equations i am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the mass is m. What is the normal force in terms of m, g, theta?

What is the frictional force... and what is the force that is causing the object to slide...

i think i figured it out i went and looked at some other equations and realized i needed to use tan instead of cos and i got the correct answer of 26.1 degrees Thank you for the tip.

Paulbird20 said:
i think i figured it out i went and looked at some other equations and realized i needed to use tan instead of cos and i got the correct answer of 26.1 degrees Thank you for the tip.

no prob. you're welcome.

1. What is the "angle to begin sliding" for a sphere?

The "angle to begin sliding" for a sphere refers to the minimum angle at which a sphere will start to roll or slide down an inclined plane due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the "angle to begin sliding" calculated?

The "angle to begin sliding" is calculated using the coefficient of static friction between the surface and the sphere, the mass of the sphere, and the angle of the inclined plane. It can be calculated using the formula tanθ = μs, where θ is the angle to begin sliding and μs is the coefficient of static friction.

3. What factors affect the "angle to begin sliding" for a sphere?

The "angle to begin sliding" can be affected by the coefficient of static friction, the mass of the sphere, and the angle of the inclined plane. A higher coefficient of static friction or a lighter sphere will result in a higher angle to begin sliding, while a steeper inclined plane will result in a lower angle to begin sliding.

4. Can the "angle to begin sliding" be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the "angle to begin sliding" cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because at an angle of 90 degrees, the inclined plane becomes a vertical wall and there is no component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the surface to cause the sphere to slide.

5. Why is the "angle to begin sliding" important in physics and engineering?

The "angle to begin sliding" is important in physics and engineering because it helps determine the stability and motion of objects on inclined planes. It is also crucial in designing structures and vehicles to ensure they can withstand the force of gravity and remain in place without sliding or rolling down inclines.