What is the equation for combining two vectors using the parallelogram rule?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of splitting a vector into its components and merging them back together using equations and trigonometry. The individual is seeking help in determining the value and direction of a merged vector in order to apply it to a 2D game. They eventually find the necessary formulas and tools to accomplish this task.
mireazma
I tried at "Intro physics" and was warn that my post might be deleted if not stuck to a certain template. So, here I am.
I'm an outsider in physics, yet I'm trying to make a 2d game with collisions.
I know that I can "split" a vector into two and combine two into one by this rule; I need the equation(s) for it; I remember it's complicated… Please, if know, help me

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you may be talking about splitting a vector into its vertical and horizontal components. We know that adding vertical and horizontal vectors can make a vector pointing some other way, and we can reverse that process.

To split it basically draw a right angled triangle with the vector you want to split as the hypotenuse. labeling that V, and one of the other angles theta, we can see with simple trig the values of the other sides.

Thank you; it's hard to apply this in what I'm making, though; I basically want to know the value of a 2nd vector (v2) please take a look at my scheme, cause I got the feeling v1 not equals v2 (v2<v1).
So, how can I determine how much of the tank force is applied to the truck?
If v2 is a component of v1, as a result of splitting v1 by 2 directions, what would the other component be? I'm pretty confused

Thank you in advance.

edit:
I thought v2 was the acting component of v1 upon truck; where was I thinking?!

Attachments

• collision.bmp
    85 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
The very formula of parallelogram vectors merge?

Ok, forget anything else!
Anywayz, I have 2 vectors; I know the directions and the values for both; what's the formula for finding the resulting merged vector direction and value? (the vectors aren't perpendicular)
I need an equation, something, cause the computer can't see a parallelogram; he sees things a little different :)

almost there

I found the formula for the value:

R=sqrt(V1²+V2²+2*V1*V2*cos(α))

As for the direction, I'm stuck at:

sin(β)=V2*sin(α)/R

I need β; how can I pull out β in this equation?

You need to use the arc sine function, which is the inverse of the sine function, just like the square is the inverse of square rooting, they reverse each others processes. You may want to look up arc sine in google.

Thanks a lot! After asiduous searching on the web, I realized that the soft I use to make the game has arcsin already implemented. Doh!
If you sometime feel like doing simple games, go try Game Maker; it's friendly. :)

What is the parallelogram rule?

The parallelogram rule is a geometric rule used to calculate the resultant of two vectors that are acting on an object. It states that if two vectors are drawn from a common point, the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by these vectors represents the resultant of the two vectors.

What is the formula for the parallelogram rule?

The formula for the parallelogram rule is R = √(P² + Q² + 2PQcosθ), where R is the magnitude of the resultant, P and Q are the magnitudes of the two vectors, and θ is the angle between them.

How is the parallelogram rule used in physics?

The parallelogram rule is used in physics to determine the net force acting on an object when two or more forces are acting on it. It is also used to calculate the direction and magnitude of a resultant velocity or acceleration when multiple velocities or accelerations are acting on an object.

What are some real-life applications of the parallelogram rule?

The parallelogram rule is used in various fields such as engineering, navigation, and sports. In engineering, it is used to calculate the resultant force on a structure. In navigation, it is used to determine the direction and speed of a boat or aircraft when multiple winds are acting on it. In sports, it is used to analyze the motion of a ball in games like basketball and soccer.

What are the limitations of the parallelogram rule?

The parallelogram rule assumes that the vectors are acting on the same point and that their magnitudes and directions remain constant. It also does not take into account any external forces or factors that may affect the movement of the object. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the actual motion of an object in some real-life scenarios where the forces acting on it are constantly changing.