Help a mature student Friedmann equation

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student who is struggling with a problem from Andrew Liddle's Introduction to cosmology 5.5. The problem involves the Friedmann equation and a parametric solution for a and t. The student is asking for help and receives some hints on how to approach the problem.
stormymouse
Anybody like to help a physics student who did their BSc six years ago and has forgotten all their maths!
Its a problem from Andrew Liddle's Introduction to cosmology 5.5

The Friedmann eqn is

(a'/a)2 = 8TTG/3 P - k/a2

Consider the case k>o, with the universe containing matter only, so that p =p0/a3

Demonstrate that the parametric solution

a(y) = 4 TT G p0/3k (1-cos y) ; t(y) = 4TTGp0/3k3/2 (y-siny)

solves this equation where y runs from 0 to 2TT

Sorry about the crassness..I hope you can deciphere my symbols...

I know I should differentiate them and use the chain rule..but really my maths is rubbish!

Any fellow physicists I would much appreciate it...maybe I shouldn't be doing my masters..I need to dig out my old calculus book...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you. (This really belongs in the homework section too). You are correct that you need to differentiate and use the chain rule. Perhaps you should have a go and post what you get.

Ok, so either you're not coming back, or you still can't attempt the problem. I'll give you a few hints: You vasically have two parametric functions a(y)=L(1-cos(y)) and t(y)=M(y-sin(y)), for some constants L and M. In the Friedmann equation, we have a term [itex]a'=\frac{da}{dt}[/itex]. Using the chain rule we can write [tex]\frac{da}{dt}=\frac{da/dy}{dt/dy}[/tex] from which you should be able to solve.

Sorry, thank you for all your help..that helps a lot!

1. What is the Friedmann equation?

The Friedmann equation is a mathematical equation in cosmology that describes the expansion of the universe. It was first derived by Alexander Friedmann in the 1920s and is a key equation in understanding the evolution of the universe.

2. How does the Friedmann equation relate to mature students?

The Friedmann equation is not directly related to mature students. However, mature students who are interested in cosmology or physics may encounter this equation in their studies. It is a fundamental equation in understanding the universe and its evolution.

3. What is the significance of the Friedmann equation?

The Friedmann equation is significant because it helped scientists understand the expansion of the universe and the Big Bang theory. It also provides a framework for studying the evolution of the universe and predicting its future.

4. Can you explain the components of the Friedmann equation?

The Friedmann equation consists of several terms, including the Hubble parameter, the density of matter and energy in the universe, and the cosmological constant. These terms relate to the dynamics of the expansion of the universe and its overall energy budget.

5. How does the Friedmann equation support the Big Bang theory?

The Friedmann equation is a key component of the Big Bang theory. It describes the expansion of the universe and how it has evolved over time. It also supports the idea of an initial singularity, which is a cornerstone of the Big Bang theory.