S.Carrol Exercise G.10: Proving Conformal Killing Vector

• Thread starter chronnox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the problem statement is to prove that if two metrics, g_{ab} and \overline{g}_{ab}, are related by an overall conformal transformation and if k^{a} is a killing vector for g_{ab}, then k^{a} is also a conformal killing vector for \overline{g}_{ab}. The killing conformal equation for \overline{g}_{ab} needs to be shown, using the relation between connection coefficients and the killing equation for g_{ab}. However, the obtained equation is not the conformal killing equation, leading to confusion. Further assistance is requested.
chronnox
1. The problem statement

I need to prove that if two metrics are related by an overall conformal transformation of the form \overline{g}_{ab}=e^{a(x)}g_{ab} and if k^{a} is a killing vector for the metric g_{ab} then k^{a} is a conformal killing vector for the metric \overline{g}_{ab}

Homework Equations

killing equation
killing conformal equation

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i need to show that \overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_{a}=(k^{r}\nabla_{r}a(x))\overline{g}_{ab}

which as far as i understand is the killing conformal equation for the metric \overline{g}_{ab}

so using the relation \overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}=\nabla_{a}k_{b}-C^{r}_{ab}k_{c}

where C^{r}_{ab} are the connection coefficients relating the derivative operatrors for g_{ab} and \overline{g}_{ab}

i sustitute this in \overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_{a}

and using killing equation for the metric g_{ab} i obtain:

\overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_{a}=-k_{a}\nabla_{b}a(x)-k_{b}\nabla_{a}a(x)+g_{ab}k^{r}\nabla_{r}a(x)

which is not the conformal killing equation so I am lost , can anyone help me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using LaTex in your post; you may get more of a response. Use the tags [ tex] [ /tex] or [ itex] [ /itex] for normal Tex and inline, respectively (without the spaces in the brackets).

1. What is a conformal killing vector?

A conformal killing vector is a type of vector field in differential geometry that preserves the conformal structure of a manifold. This means that it scales the metric tensor at each point in the same way, maintaining the angles between vectors and preserving the overall shape of the space.

2. How is a conformal killing vector related to conformal symmetry?

A conformal killing vector is closely related to conformal symmetry, which is the invariance of a physical system under conformal transformations. Conformal killing vectors generate these transformations, meaning that they represent the infinitesimal changes in the conformal structure of a manifold.

3. What is the significance of conformal killing vectors in physics?

Conformal killing vectors have various applications in physics, particularly in general relativity and conformal field theory. They can be used to study the symmetries and conservation laws of physical systems, as well as to solve certain differential equations.

4. How is a conformal killing vector proven?

A conformal killing vector can be proven using mathematical techniques such as tensor calculus and Lie derivatives. The proof involves showing that the vector field satisfies certain conditions, such as being divergence-free and satisfying a specific equation known as the Killing equation.

5. Are there any practical applications of conformal killing vectors?

Conformal killing vectors have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to study and analyze the behavior of physical systems, as well as to develop algorithms for simulating and visualizing complex structures.