How Does the Operator e^{i\ell q_0/\~R} Affect Quantum State Windings?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, the operator e^{i\ell q_0/\~R} acting on a state with winding m results in a state with winding m + \ell, as shown in equation (17.83). There is no typo in the book.
Jimmy Snyder

Homework Statement

Verify that acting on a state with winding m, the operator
[tex]e^{i\ell q_0/\~R}[/tex]
gives a state with winding [itex]m + \ell[/itex]

Homework Equations

Equation (17.83)
[tex]e^{-i\ell q_0/\~R}we^{i\ell q_0/\~R} = w + \frac{\ell}{\~R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems easy: given |m> where w|m> = m|m> we have
[tex]w|e^{i\ell q_0/\~R}m> = e^{i\ell q_0/\~R}e^{-i\ell q_0/\~R}we^{i\ell q_0/\~R}|m> = e^{i\ell q_0/\~R}(w + \frac{\ell}{\~R})|m> = (m + \frac{\ell}{\~R})|e^{i\ell q_0/\~R}m>[/tex]
So is there a typo in the book?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

No, there is not a typo in the book. Your solution is correct. The operator e^{i\ell q_0/\~R} does indeed give a state with winding m + \ell when acting on a state with winding m. This can be seen from the equation (17.83) provided in the homework, which shows that the operator e^{-i\ell q_0/\~R}we^{i\ell q_0/\~R} = w + \frac{\ell}{\~R}. This equation directly corresponds to the solution you have provided. Therefore, there is no need to doubt the correctness of the book.

1. What is Zwiebach QC 17.4?

Zwiebach QC 17.4 refers to a specific section in the book "A First Course in String Theory" by Barton Zwiebach. It is a theoretical physics textbook that covers topics related to string theory and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of page 404 in Zwiebach QC 17.4?

Page 404 in Zwiebach QC 17.4 discusses the concept of quantum corrections in string theory. It is an important topic as it explains how certain inconsistencies in classical string theory can be resolved through the inclusion of quantum effects.

3. What is the main idea presented on page 404 in Zwiebach QC 17.4?

The main idea on page 404 in Zwiebach QC 17.4 is that quantum corrections play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of string theory at the quantum level. These corrections can lead to new insights and predictions about the behavior of strings.

4. How does Zwiebach QC 17.4 relate to other sections in the book?

Zwiebach QC 17.4 is part of a larger section in the book that covers the basics of string theory, including its history, principles, and mathematical foundations. It also connects to other sections in the book that discuss specific topics such as supersymmetry and black holes.

5. What is the target audience for Zwiebach QC 17.4?

The book "A First Course in String Theory" is primarily aimed at advanced undergraduate and graduate students in theoretical physics. However, it can also be a valuable resource for researchers and professionals in the field of string theory and quantum mechanics.