Sketch the graph of Ff(y-axis) vs Fapp(x-axis)

In summary, the conversation discusses pulling a sled with a mass of 15kg and a child with a mass of 10kg across the snow with a force of 200N at an angle of 50 degrees with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the sled and the snow is 0.2. The following values are found: A) The acceleration of the sled and child without friction is 3.7. B) The acceleration of the sled and child with friction is 3.16. C) Doubling the mass of the sled and child would result in a decrease in acceleration. D) If the experiment were done on the moon with a gravitational acceleration of 1.63m
pyroknife
I am pulling my cousin who has a mass of 10kg, geets all bundled up and sits in the sled, which has a mass of 15kg. He yells ready,set,go and I start to pull him across the snow. I am pulling the sled at an angle of 50degrees with respect to the horizontal. Assume that the coefficient of static friction between the sled and the snow is Ms=.2 if I pull him across the snow with a force of 200N, fine the following values.

A) Find the acceleration of my cousin and the sled WITHOUT FRICTION.
B) Find the acceleration of my cousin and the sled WITH FRICTION.
C)If we doubled the mass of the sled and the child, would the acceleration increase, decrease or stay the same?
D)If we go to the moon, where g=1.63m/s^2, and pulled the child across the same surface (just pretend it's snowing on the moon) would the acceleration increase, decrease, or stay the same?
E) skept the graph of Ff(y-axis) vs Fapp(x-axis) until Fapp is 500N.

The Attempt at a Solution

A) 3.7
b) 3.16
c) decrease
D) increase
E) I got a straight line where Ff=18.4N from 0 Fapp to 500 Fapp

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm happy to check your equations, though I don't want to directly check your answer.

check my equations i used for each of those? do you want the numbers with them?

Doing the algebra is fine. For example (you don't need to use TeX):

[tex]\sum_i F_i = ma = F_1 + F_2 + F_3...[/tex]

whatever those forces may be.

1. What is the purpose of sketching the graph of Ff(y-axis) vs Fapp(x-axis)?

The purpose of sketching this graph is to visualize the relationship between the applied force (Fapp) and the resulting frictional force (Ff). This can help us understand the behavior of friction and how it changes with different applied forces.

2. How does the slope of the graph relate to the coefficient of friction?

The slope of the graph represents the coefficient of friction, as it is the ratio of the frictional force (Ff) to the applied force (Fapp). A steeper slope indicates a higher coefficient of friction, while a flatter slope indicates a lower coefficient of friction.

3. Can the graph of Ff vs Fapp be used to predict the motion of an object?

Yes, the graph can be used to predict the motion of an object by analyzing the points of intersection. The point at which the two lines intersect represents the maximum frictional force that can be applied without causing the object to move. If the applied force exceeds this maximum, the object will begin to move.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the graph of Ff vs Fapp?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the graph, as the coefficient of friction remains constant for a given surface. However, a heavier object may require a greater applied force to overcome the frictional force and start moving, resulting in a different shape of the graph.

5. Can the graph of Ff vs Fapp be used to determine the coefficient of friction for different surfaces?

Yes, the graph can be used to compare the coefficients of friction for different surfaces by analyzing the slopes. A steeper slope indicates a higher coefficient of friction, meaning the surface is rougher and offers more resistance to motion.