Finding Plate Deflection of 10*10*0.2 cm Composite Plate

In summary, the individual has measured the strain of a composite plate using an impact test and has only the value for epsilon x. They are now looking for the plate's deflection, but need more information such as the plate's orientation and coordinate system. The plate is made of glass-epoxy and has a weight of 24 grams, with impacts from a 24 and 57 gram weight at velocities of 0.6 and 1.2 m/s. The strain in the y direction can also be found. The strain gauge was attached at the bottom of the plate where it was impacted from the top with a small ball. More information and references are needed for a complete answer.
multipeditalist

Homework Statement

Dear friendes, I have just measured the strain of a composite plate at it's surface. It was an impact test. I have only epslon x. How can I find the plate defection? Plate size is equal to 10*10*0.2 cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
One needs to supply more information. For example, what is the orientation of the plate, and what is the coordinate system?

I would expect one is measuring a permanent deformation based on an impact test?

Astronuc said:
One needs to supply more information. For example, what is the orientation of the plate, and what is the coordinate system?

I would expect one is measuring a permanent deformation based on an impact test?

Dear Friend, thank you for you reply. The plate is composite material [0 90 0 90 0]s from glass-epoxy. The plate weight is 24 gr (10*10*0.2 cm) and the impactor weight is 24 and 57 gr (large mass impact) with impact velocities: 0.6 and 1.2 m/s (low velocity impact). There is no damage. We are in Elastic region. I can find the strain in y direction too (I have the strain in x direction now). I have attached the strain gauge at the botoom of the plate, below the place that I impacted the plate from top wih a small ball.

Anything else?

Please tell your answrs with naming of the references.

With respect

Faramarz A. Gh.

1. How do you calculate the deflection of a composite plate?

The deflection of a composite plate can be calculated using the equation: δ = (Ql^4) / (8Ed^3), where δ is the deflection, Q is the distributed load, l is the length of the plate, E is the Young's modulus of the material, and d is the thickness of the plate.

2. What is the formula for finding the deflection of a 10*10*0.2 cm composite plate?

The formula for finding the deflection of a 10*10*0.2 cm composite plate would be: δ = (Q(10)^4) / (8E(0.2)^3).

3. How do you determine the Young's modulus of a composite material?

The Young's modulus of a composite material can be determined using various testing methods such as tensile, compression, or flexural testing. The resulting stress-strain curve can then be used to calculate the Young's modulus.

4. What factors can affect the deflection of a composite plate?

The deflection of a composite plate can be affected by factors such as the applied load, the material properties, the shape and dimensions of the plate, and the boundary conditions.

5. Can the deflection of a composite plate be reduced?

Yes, the deflection of a composite plate can be reduced by increasing the thickness or stiffness of the plate, changing the material properties, or using additional support or reinforcement.