Quantum Mechanics and Relativity.

In summary: However, there are still some unresolved issues with reconciling QM and General Relativity, such as the issue of fields versus curvature. In summary, while QM is compatible with Special Relativity, there are still some challenges in reconciling it with General Relativity, particularly in terms of the concept of fields versus curvature.
dromero
QM is not being in the actuality my main area, but I always have listened around that QM is incompatible, as a theory, with General/Special Relativity. I've been reading several other materials across the net, but I'm not able to get it entirely. What can you say about this?

Sorry for my english, thanks for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
dromero said:
QM is not being in the actuality my main area, but I always have listened around that QM is incompatible, as a theory, with General/Special Relativity. I've been reading several other materials across the net, but I'm not able to get it entirely. What can you say about this?

The "Standard Model", the quantum field theory governing the electromagnetic, strong and weak nuclear forces is entirely Lorentz invariant. That is, 100% compatible with Special Relativity.

As for the compatibility between the Standard Model and General Relativity, there is the issue of different concepts, fields versus curvature, as well as unresolved non-renormalizability issues.

Regards, Hans

Quantum Mechanics (that is, the theory arising from Schrodinger's equation) is not Lorentz invariant. You can see this right away, since the equation is first order in time but second order in space. It IS Galilean-invariant, however (just like Newton).

If you are interested in the relativistic regime, you must give up on Schrodinger and use "Relativistic QM" of Dirac/Klein-Gordan/etc. This is where Quantum Field Theory comes into play, such as the Standard Model of particle physics.

1. What is the difference between Quantum Mechanics and Relativity?

Quantum Mechanics is a theory that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, while Relativity is a theory that describes the behavior of objects at the macroscopic level. They both have different principles and equations to explain the physical world.

2. Are Quantum Mechanics and Relativity connected?

Yes, they are both fundamental theories in physics and are used to understand different aspects of the physical world. However, they have not been unified into a single theory yet.

3. How does Quantum Mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum Mechanics uses principles such as superposition and uncertainty to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also uses mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, to predict the probability of a particle's location or energy state.

4. What is the role of Relativity in our understanding of the universe?

Relativity has been crucial in our understanding of the universe, as it explains the behavior of objects at high speeds and in strong gravitational fields. It has also been used to predict phenomena such as gravitational lensing and black holes.

5. Can we observe the effects of Quantum Mechanics and Relativity in our daily lives?

Yes, we can observe the effects of Quantum Mechanics and Relativity in our daily lives, although they may not be apparent. GPS systems, for example, use both theories to accurately calculate the position and time on Earth. Our understanding of electronics and modern technology also relies on the principles of Quantum Mechanics.