I can't figure out what I am doing for nothing Max Torque

In summary, the maximum possible torque on the dipole in a uniform electric field of strength 8.130×10^5 N/C with two small plastic spheres, one charged to 18.95 nC and the other to -18.95 nC, connected by a 50-mm-long insulating rod is 7.7 x 10 ^-8 N*m. This is obtained by taking the torque around the mid point and adding it to the torque of the other force.
BuBbLeS01
I can't figure out what I am doing for nothing! Max Torque...Please Help!

Homework Statement

Two small plastic spheres, one charged to 18.95 nC and the other to -18.95 nC, are connected by a 50-mm-long insulating rod. Suppose this dipole is placed a uniform electric field with strength 8.130×10^5 N/C. What are the maximum possible torque on the dipole?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

r = 0.050m
q1 = 18.95 nC
q2 = -18.95 nC
E = 8.130 e^5

Torque = r*F(perpendicular)
F = K * q1 * q2 / r^2 = 0.00129N
Toqrue 1 = 0.00129 * (0.050/2) = 3.23 e^-5
Toqrue 2 = 0.00129 * (0.050/2) = 3.23 e^-5
T1 + T2 = 6.46 e^-5 N*m

Motion is clockwise around pivot in center...

Ahhh what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
> F = K * q1 * q2 / r^2 = 0.00129N

Why do you need this?

Torque in this case is a couple, which is equal to the one of the perpendicular forces into distance between the two points of application.

Don't I need that to find F?

By F if you mean the force between the two charges, then no. What you do have to find is the force on a charge by the field.

So that would this equation?
F = q*E
F = 18.95nC * 8.130×10^5 N/C = 1.54 x 10^-2 N

Yes. Now find the couple.

T = rF(perp)
T1 = (0.050/2) * 1.54 x 10^-2 = 3.85 x 10^-4
T2 = (0.050/2) * 1.54 x 10^-2 = 3.85 x 10^-4
T1 + T2 = 7.7 x 10 ^-4 N*m

Only one of T1 or T2 will do. You need not add them.

Your original Q was "What are the maximum possible torque on the dipole?"

When do you think is the torque maximum?

When they are perpendicular? I am not sure how to answer that?

That's right. It has not been asked, but you should know. In general, the torque will be T1*r*sin(theta), if theta is the angle between the rod and the field direction. So, when theta=90 deg, the torque is max.

Oh ok, thanks. So the answer would just be 1 of the torques, 3.85 x 10^-4 N*m? Why don't we add the torques? I thought...
Tnet = T1 + T2 + T3...

The net torque has to be the sum of all torques around one point. Since T2 passes through the point q2, the torque of T2 is zero about that point.

Try and take the sum of the torques about the mid point, and see what result you get.

It says 3.85 x 10^-4 N*m is wrong?

BuBbLeS01 said:
T = rF(perp)
T1 = (0.050/2) * 1.54 x 10^-2 = 3.85 x 10^-4
T2 = (0.050/2) * 1.54 x 10^-2 = 3.85 x 10^-4
T1 + T2 = 7.7 x 10 ^-4 N*m

You have taken the torque around the mid point, after all, and added, and so T1 + T2 should be the correct answer. (You have done 0.050/2, which I did not notice.)

Check for the power of 10.

(The answer is 7.7*10^-8 Nm? I may be wrong. Don't make me do arithmetic.)

oh i thought i wasn't supposed to add them?

You are always supposed to add all the torques to get the net torque. I had asked you to take the torque about one of the ends of the rod, so that you only have to find the torque of the other force about this point (refer post #2), because the other torque would be zero (refer post #12). I was under the impression that you knew what a couple was.

Now that you have taken the torques about the mid point (refer post #7), then you have to add them to get the net torque. Ir slipped me in post #7 that you had taken r/2, instead of r.

You have done correctly.

1. What does "I can't figure out what I am doing for nothing Max Torque" mean?

"I can't figure out what I am doing for nothing Max Torque" is a statement that implies confusion and frustration about a situation involving the use of force or effort that seems to be yielding no results or progress.

2. Can you explain the concept of "Max Torque"?

Max Torque refers to the maximum amount of rotational force that an object can produce or withstand before breaking or reaching its limit. It is often measured in units of torque, such as newton-meters or pound-feet.

3. What are some possible reasons for not seeing results despite using Max Torque?

There could be several reasons for not seeing results despite using Max Torque. It could be due to inadequate force or effort being applied, improper use of the object or equipment, external factors affecting the performance, or simply the limitation of the object's capabilities.

4. Is there a way to determine the appropriate amount of Max Torque to use?

Yes, the appropriate amount of Max Torque can be determined through calculations or testing. It is important to consider factors such as the object's material, design, and intended use when determining the appropriate amount of Max Torque to use.

5. How can one improve their understanding of Max Torque and its application?

One can improve their understanding of Max Torque and its application through research, studying principles of physics and mechanics, and seeking guidance from experts in the field. Hands-on experience and experimentation can also help in gaining a better understanding of Max Torque.