Need help: integration by substitution.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \int \frac{(t+1)^2}{t^2} dt using integration by substitution. The solution involves breaking the integral into three parts and using the derivative to double check the solution. It is noted that there doesn't seem to be a faster way of solving this type of integral.
maxpayne_lhp
Hello all, how are you?

we are currently working on integration by substitution, what do you guys think about the way i solved this one:

Find: [tex] \int \frac{(t+1)^2}{t^2} dt[/tex]

My solution:

[tex] \int \frac{(t+1)^2}{t^2} dt

= \int 1dt + \int \frac{2}{t} dt + \int \frac{1}{t^2} dt

= t + 2ln|t| + \frac{1}{-3t^3}

[/tex]

When i check it by takin the derivative of my answer... it matches up with the stuff up top... but there's no substitution... am i doing it the right way? is there any faster way?

Thanks,

NN

Note:I realized i posted this at a wrong section... please move it if you can. Thanks and sorry about that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget the constant of integration! I don't think there is a quicker way of solving it.

Hi NN,

Your solution looks correct to me! Integration by substitution can sometimes be tricky and it's great that you checked your answer by taking the derivative. That's a good way to confirm your solution. As for a faster way, it really depends on the specific problem and what substitutions you can make. Sometimes there may not be a clear substitution to use, so breaking it down into smaller integrals like you did is a good approach. Keep practicing and you'll get better at identifying when to use substitution and what substitution to use. Good luck!

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a technique used in mathematics to evaluate integrals. It involves replacing the variable of integration with a new variable that simplifies the integral.

2. When is integration by substitution used?

Integration by substitution is used when the integrand (the expression being integrated) contains a function that can be simplified by a change of variables.

3. How do you perform integration by substitution?

To perform integration by substitution, you first identify the function that can be simplified by a change of variables. Then, you choose a substitution that will simplify the function and rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable. Finally, you solve for the new variable and substitute back into the original integral.

4. What are the benefits of using integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution can simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve. It also allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution may not always be applicable, as it requires the integrand to contain a function that can be simplified by a change of variables. It also requires a good understanding of algebra and mathematical concepts to choose the appropriate substitution.