Velocity of a Car Skidding: Solving for Maximum Speed on a Circular Turn

In summary, a car can go 24.0 m/s without skidding if the road is flat and the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is 0.8.
mortho
[SOLVED] Velocity of a car skidding

Homework Statement

A 2.20 103 kg car rounds a circular turn of radius 30.0 m. If the road is flat and the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is 0.8, how fast can the car go without skidding?

Homework Equations

Fcentripital=ma
a=v2/t
v=2πr/t

The Attempt at a Solution

So i used F=ma and substituted F with Coefficient*mass*gravity and for ma i used
m 2πr/t and solved for t. Then i used the t for the velocity equation and solved it. I got 24.0 m/s but it was wrong. What did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
a=v2/t

I believe you mean this [tex]a = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

It's r for radius in the denominator, NOT t for time. This is centripetal acceleration here.

Try to solve it again.

Thank you soo much for pointing that out but I'm having algebra problems, so if i used
v2/r but i have no velocity so i use 2πr\t but then i have two divisions, i know this probably is a very stupid question but I'm really bad at math. so how would i put that equation to equal to t. Would it be (coefficient*m*g)/m(2πr2) ? The answer i got was completely ridiculous so I'm guessing it's wrong.

but i have no velocity so i use 2πr\t but then i have two divisions

But you are trying to find velocity, so there is no need to substitute something in for it. You don't need to find the time, either. Just equate the frictional force into the first equation listed in your "relevant equations" and the proper term for "a". Solve for v.

Thanks. i feel so retarded now that you said that. I got carried away trying to find time that i didn't even realize i was looking for velocity in the first place. So i solved for it and got 15.3 m/s correct?

Looks reasonable to me.

Thank you!

You're welcome. :smile:

What is the velocity of a car skidding?

The velocity of a car skidding is the speed and direction at which the car is moving while it is sliding or slipping on a surface. It is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) or meters per second (m/s).

How is the velocity of a car skidding calculated?

The velocity of a car skidding can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled while skidding by the time it took to skid. This formula is represented as: velocity = distance / time.

What factors affect the velocity of a car skidding?

The velocity of a car skidding can be affected by several factors such as the surface the car is skidding on, the weight and type of car, the angle of the skid, and the speed at which the car was traveling before the skid.

Can the velocity of a car skidding be controlled?

The velocity of a car skidding can be partially controlled by the driver by applying or releasing the brakes, turning the steering wheel, and adjusting the speed of the car. However, external factors such as the condition of the road and weather can also affect the velocity of the skid.

How can the velocity of a car skidding be reduced?

The velocity of a car skidding can be reduced by taking preventative measures such as maintaining proper tire pressure and tread, driving at appropriate speeds for the road conditions, and avoiding sudden and sharp turns or braking. In the event of a skid, the driver can try to regain control by steering in the direction of the skid and gently applying the brakes.