Intrinsic Differentiation and Integration in Programming Languages

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a programming language that has intrinsic differentiation and integration capabilities, other than interpreted languages like Maple and Mathematica. The distinction between symbolic and numeric differentiation is also mentioned, along with the preference for symbolic differentiation for the purpose of numerical integration. The conversation ends with the suggestion of a 3rd-party plugin for Java that may offer the desired capabilities.
ice109
are there any languages that have intrinsic differentiation and integration? other than interpreted languages like maple and mathematica?

Technology news on Phys.org
Symbolic or numeric? What would you applying the function to, a table of data? A stream of data?

Numeric integration and differentiation are relatively easy to implement depeding on the required degree of accuracy and the number data points you have to work with.

ironically i would like symbolic differentiation so that i can do numerical integration.

ice109 said:
ironically i would like symbolic differentiation so that i can do numerical integration.

I don't know of any programming languages that have a built-in symbolic manipulation package (other than specific math programs like you mentioned), but it might be possible to find a 3rd-party package or plugin.

Doing a quick Google search gave me a link to this plugin for Java:

The JAVA Math Engine
http://science.kennesaw.edu/~plaval/applets/Help.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is intrinsic differentiation and integration in programming languages?

Intrinsic differentiation and integration in programming languages refer to the built-in capabilities of a programming language to perform differentiation and integration operations on mathematical functions. This means that the language has predefined functions and methods that can be used to calculate derivatives and integrals of functions.

2. How is intrinsic differentiation and integration different from external libraries or packages?

Intrinsic differentiation and integration are part of the core functionality of a programming language, whereas external libraries or packages are add-ons that need to be imported or installed separately. Intrinsic differentiation and integration are also typically faster and more efficient since they are built specifically for the language.

3. What are some examples of programming languages that support intrinsic differentiation and integration?

Some examples of programming languages that support intrinsic differentiation and integration are MATLAB, Python, and Java. These languages have built-in functions and libraries that can perform mathematical operations such as derivatives and integrals.

4. Can intrinsic differentiation and integration be used for any type of function?

In most cases, intrinsic differentiation and integration can only be used for continuous functions. However, some programming languages may have additional functions or libraries that can handle discontinuous functions as well.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using intrinsic differentiation and integration in programming languages?

One disadvantage of using intrinsic differentiation and integration is that it may be limited in its capabilities compared to external libraries or packages. Additionally, it may require more knowledge and understanding of the language to use these built-in functions effectively.