Kinetics of a Particle: Work and Energy

In summary, the cyclist in this problem reaches a height determined by using the work-energy theorem and solving for x using the equation of the path. However, to calculate the angle, the individual incorrectly suggested taking the square root of y/x instead of using the inverse tangent function. It is important to always double check calculations and seek help when needed.
Suitengu

Homework Statement

The cyclist travels to a point A, pedaling until he reaches a speed Va = 4m/s. He then coasts up freely the curved surface. Determine how high he reaches up the surface before he comes to a stop. Also, what are the resultant normal force on the surface at this point and his acceleration? The total mass of the bike and man is 75 kg. Neglect friction, the mass of the wheels and the size of the bicycle.

Homework Equations

a is 4m from diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found y first using the work-energy theorem and solve for x using the equation of the path given. I was then stuck at calculating the angle at this coordinate so I sought out help. The individual told me to take the square root of y/x and take the arctan of that. To my surprise, I worked with this value using normal and tangent coordinates and it worked. I would like if someone could explain to me why it was done like this as I am still lost. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Dynamics.JPG
    Dynamics.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 606
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum post author,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. After reviewing your attempt at a solution, I believe the individual who helped you may have made a mistake. The square root of y/x is not the correct way to calculate the angle in this scenario.

To determine the angle, we can use the inverse tangent function, also known as arctan, which takes the ratio of the opposite and adjacent sides of a right triangle. In this case, the opposite side is the change in height (y) and the adjacent side is the distance traveled (x). So, the correct way to calculate the angle would be to take the inverse tangent of y/x, not the square root.

I hope this helps clarify the issue for you. If you have any further questions or need any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. it is important to always double check our calculations and seek out help when needed. Keep up the good work!

I would like to clarify some of the concepts and equations used in this problem.

First, the work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the work done by the cyclist in pedaling is equal to the change in his kinetic energy, which is given as Va = 4m/s. However, the cyclist is not pedaling while coasting up the curved surface, so there is no work done and no change in kinetic energy.

To determine the height the cyclist reaches before coming to a stop, we can use the conservation of energy principle. The total energy of the system (cyclist and bike) at the top of the curve is equal to the sum of its kinetic and potential energy. Since the cyclist is at rest at the top of the curve, its kinetic energy is zero. The potential energy at this point is equal to the height reached (h) multiplied by the mass of the system (75 kg) and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Therefore, we can write the equation:

Potential energy = mgh = 0

Solving for h, we get h= 0 m. This means that the cyclist does not reach any height before coming to a stop.

Next, let's look at the resultant normal force on the surface at this point. The normal force is the force that the surface exerts on the cyclist in a direction perpendicular to the surface. In this case, since the cyclist is at rest, the normal force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity acting on the cyclist. This is given by the equation:

Normal force = mg = (75 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 735 N

Finally, the acceleration of the cyclist is also zero at this point since he is at rest.

In summary, the cyclist does not reach any height before coming to a stop, the resultant normal force on the surface is 735 N, and the acceleration is 0 m/s^2. It is important to note that these values are only true if we neglect friction and the mass of the wheels and size of the bicycle, as stated in the problem. If these factors were taken into account, the values would be different.

As for the suggestion to take the square root of y/x and take the arctan of that, it

1. What is the definition of work in the context of kinetics of a particle?

In the context of kinetics of a particle, work is defined as the product of the force applied to a particle and the displacement of the particle in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from the particle.

2. How is the work done by a variable force calculated?

The work done by a variable force is calculated by integrating the force function with respect to the displacement of the particle. This is represented by the equation W = ∫F dx, where W is the work done, F is the force, and dx is the displacement.

3. What is the relationship between work and kinetic energy?

According to the work-energy theorem, the net work done on a particle is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when work is done on a particle, its kinetic energy increases, and when work is done by a particle, its kinetic energy decreases.

4. How is the work-energy principle applied in real-world scenarios?

The work-energy principle can be applied in real-world scenarios to analyze the motion of objects and calculate the work done by or on the object. It can also be used to determine the speed of an object at different points in its motion or to determine the work needed to accelerate or decelerate an object.

5. What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces in relation to work and energy?

Conservative forces are those that do not dissipate energy and are path independent, meaning the work done by the force is only dependent on the initial and final positions of the particle. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, dissipate energy and are path dependent, meaning the work done by the force depends on the path taken by the particle. Examples of conservative forces include gravity and elastic forces, while examples of non-conservative forces include friction and air resistance.