UIUC or Purdue: Which is the Better Choice for Electrical/Computer Engineering?

In summary, if cost and location don't matter, then Purdue has a distinct advantage over the other for electrical/computer engineering.
Lykin
Assuming cost and location don't matter, does UIUC/Purdue have a distinct advantage over the other for electrical/computer engineering? Specifically I want to do something with integrated circuit design, mainly microarchitecture/VLSI design. Now I'm pretty sure that they're both ranked fairly closely (for whatever it's worth) and was wondering if there is any reason to choose one over the other based on purely academic purposes?

Not sure if this will have an effect on which to choose but I plan on getting my Bachelor's from one of these universities then moving on to a different one for my Master's (would like to go on to Stanford).

Physics news on Phys.org
I went to Purdue for ECE and I highly recommend it. It's a good program, for one. But the best part is that Purdue hosts one of the largest career fairs in the world every year, and the Purdue name commands respect among hiring employers. You will do well with a degree from there.

If you are pursuing a higher degree, undergrad ranking doesn't mean much within reason because the undergrad curriculum is pretty much standardized. My opinion is there would be no more variability in the education you received by different faculty at the same institution than by different institutions. A better reason to choose one or the other might be 1) Availability of certain extracurriculars or 2) price. Wherever you decide to go, just work hard.

Last edited:
I went to Purdue for ECE and I highly recommend it. It's a good program, for one. But the best part is that Purdue hosts one of the largest career fairs in the world every year, and the Purdue name commands respect among hiring employers. You will do well with a degree from there.

I was leaning towards Purdue a bit at the time of posting mainly because I was reading through their ECE website and liked the sound of it. Plus the cost of Purdue is also better than UIUC.

If you are pursuing a higher degree, undergrad ranking doesn't mean much within reason because the undergrad curriculum is pretty much standardized. My opinion is there would be no more variability in the education you received by different faculty at the same institution than by different institutions. A better reason to choose one or the other might be 1) Availability of certain extracurriculars or 2) price. Wherever you decide to go, just work hard.

I had thought that undergrad rankings meant less than grad rankings but was not sure. I will probably end up picking based on cost and ECs (at this point in time I'm leaning towards Purdue).

Thank you both for your advice.

1. Which school has a better reputation for EE/CE programs, UIUC or Purdue?

Both UIUC and Purdue have highly ranked and reputable EE/CE programs. UIUC is typically ranked slightly higher in engineering overall, but both schools have a strong reputation in this field.

2. What are the main differences between the EE/CE programs at UIUC and Purdue?

The main differences between the two programs are the curriculum and focus. UIUC's EE program has a stronger focus on computer engineering, while Purdue's EE program has a stronger focus on power and energy systems. Additionally, Purdue's EE program offers a 5-year combined BS/MS program while UIUC does not.

3. Which school has better internship or co-op opportunities for EE/CE students?

Both schools have strong industry connections and offer opportunities for internships and co-ops. Purdue has a larger overall engineering program, which may provide more opportunities, but UIUC's location near Chicago also offers many opportunities for students.

4. How do class sizes and professor accessibility compare between UIUC and Purdue?

Class sizes and professor accessibility can vary depending on the specific courses and professors. Generally, UIUC has a larger engineering program, which may result in larger class sizes, but both schools have a low student-to-faculty ratio. Both schools also have professors who are actively involved in research and accessible to students outside of class.

5. What are the job placement rates for EE/CE graduates from UIUC and Purdue?

Both schools have high job placement rates for EE/CE graduates. According to the latest data, UIUC has a 96% job placement rate for engineering graduates, while Purdue has a 95% placement rate for engineering graduates.