Find All Stresses on a Torus Pressure Vessel

• Thread starter circaboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torus
In summary: I think literature can be very helpful, but I also think it's important to be respectful of others who are trying to contribute to a discussion. I agree! I think literature can be very helpful, but I also think it's important to be respectful of others who are trying to contribute to a discussion.
circaboy
I have been goven the task of finding all the stresses on a Torus (i.e. donut) Pressure vessel. Any help would be much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?

Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain, Chapter 12, Table 28, Case 5 (at least in the 6th edition).

FredGarvin said:
Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain, Chapter 12, Table 28, Case 5 (at least in the 6th edition).

Careful Fred last time I referred someone here to a book I got yanked and got a warning as "not contributing to the discussion"

Personally I believe showing people what literature can be consulted is very helpful do!

jaap de vries said:
Careful Fred last time I referred someone here to a book I got yanked and got a warning as "not contributing to the discussion"

Personally I believe showing people what literature can be consulted is very helpful do!

I went back and checked the warning -- it was for a little different situation. Fred's reference is very specific, but your advice in the other post was to buy a Schaum's outline.

berkeman said:
I went back and checked the warning -- it was for a little different situation. Fred's reference is very specific, but your advice in the other post was to buy a Schaum's outline.

Yes because people were about to spend 100+ man hours on something that you can seriously buy for $5,-

I don't want to be a nag but the exact response was:

"Almost every single questions being asked on here, one can tell someone to go get such-and-such book. It solves nothing. Your response to someone asking a question is essentially telling that person to go get a book. That response has no substance to a discussion forum such as this. If you don't care to explain, don't respond."

So I don't see how that is different. Anyway I was kinda kidding in the first place to Fred because his advise is usually spot on.

Last edited:
I honestly do try to not do a reference like that when I can. I do debate with myself as to whether or not they are getting spoon fed. However, for a situation like this, the number of posts and time to walk the OP through the mechanics for this loading would be pretty extensive. That's why I just came out and told him where to look. I think there are times where pointing a person to a source is a much more efficient use of our time and bandwidth.

FredGarvin said:
I honestly do try to not do a reference like that when I can. I do debate with myself as to whether or not they are getting spoon fed. However, for a situation like this, the number of posts and time to walk the OP through the mechanics for this loading would be pretty extensive. That's why I just came out and told him where to look. I think there are times where pointing a person to a source is a much more efficient use of our time and bandwidth.

I agree!

1. What is a torus pressure vessel?

A torus pressure vessel is a type of pressure vessel that has a cylindrical shape with a circular cross-section and a toroidal, or doughnut-shaped, body. It is used to store or contain pressurized gases or liquids.

2. What are the stresses on a torus pressure vessel?

The stresses on a torus pressure vessel include hoop stress, axial stress, radial stress, and shear stress. These stresses are caused by the internal pressure of the vessel and can lead to structural failure if not properly calculated and managed.

3. How do you calculate the stresses on a torus pressure vessel?

The stresses on a torus pressure vessel can be calculated using the Lamé equations, which take into account the geometry and material properties of the vessel, as well as the internal pressure. These equations can be solved using numerical methods or computer simulations.

4. What factors can affect the stresses on a torus pressure vessel?

The stresses on a torus pressure vessel can be affected by various factors such as the internal pressure, material properties, geometry of the vessel, and external loads. Other factors, such as temperature changes and corrosion, can also impact the stresses on the vessel.

5. Why is it important to find all stresses on a torus pressure vessel?

It is important to find all stresses on a torus pressure vessel to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the vessel. By accurately calculating and analyzing the stresses, engineers can identify potential areas of weakness and make necessary design modifications to prevent failure and ensure the safe operation of the vessel.