Finding a Scalar Function on a Bounded Surface

In summary, you would need to find the function f(x,y,z) on the surface S by solving the equation z= x2+ 2y2.
Eidos
Hi guys and gals

This is a conceptual question. Let's say I have a scalar function, [tex]f(x,y,z)[/tex] defined throughout [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. Further I have some bounded surface, S embedded in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex].

How would I find the function f, defined on the surface S?

Would it be the inner product of f and S, [tex]<f|S>[/tex] or a functional composition like [tex]f \circ S[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
f is a scalar, so inner product of S and f makes no sense. I don't know what you have in mind by functional composition

you mean you want parameterize f by s? as in restrict f to s? like for the purposes of a surface integral?

mathman said:
f is a scalar, so inner product of S and f makes no sense.
From what I understand the inner product <f|g> is
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(t)g^{*}(t)dt[/tex].

The mistake I made was to think that they are scalar functions as well even though f and g are complex functions. Sorry about that. The closest thing I've come to inner products for functions was the orthonormality of the basis functions for Fourier series. :blushing:

ice109 said:
you mean you want parameterize f by s? as in restrict f to s? like for the purposes of a surface integral?
This is exactly what I had in mind. Sorry I should have been more explicit where I was going with it.

I understand what we are doing if we have a vector field [tex]\textbf{F}[/tex] and want to find out how it permeates (eg. flux through a surface) a surface S but dotting it with the unit normal of the surface and integrating on the surface. This is actually what made me think of the inner product:
[tex]\iint\textbf{F}\cdot\textbf{n}\,\mathrm{dS}[/tex]

Thanks for the replies :smile:

That is the "inner product" only if you are thinking of f and g as vectors in L2.

You have a function, f(x,y,z), and are given a surface S. You don't say how you are "given" the surface but since it is two dimensional, it is always possible to parameterize it with two variables: on S, x= x(u,v), y= y(u,v), z= z(u,v). Replace x, y, and z in f with those: f(x(u,v),y(u,v),z(u,v).

For example, suppose you have the parabolic surface z= x2+ 2y2 and some function f(x,y,z). Then you can take x and y themselves as parameters and, restricted to that surface, your function is f(x,y,x2+ 2y2).

Thanks HallsofIvy that cleared things up :)

What is a scalar function on a surface?

A scalar function on a surface is a mathematical function that assigns a scalar value (a single number) to each point on a surface. It can be thought of as a way to describe the variation of a single quantity over a surface.

What is the difference between a scalar function and a vector function on a surface?

The main difference is that a scalar function only assigns a single value to each point on a surface, while a vector function assigns a vector (a magnitude and direction) to each point. Scalar functions can be thought of as a special case of vector functions where the magnitude of the vector is constant.

What are some common examples of scalar functions on a surface?

Some common examples include temperature distribution on a surface, pressure distribution on a surface, or elevation of a terrain. Scalar functions can also represent physical quantities such as electric potential or gravitational potential on a surface.

How are scalar functions on a surface useful in real-world applications?

Scalar functions on a surface are useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and analyze physical phenomena, design structures, and create visual representations of surfaces. For example, scalar functions on a terrain can be used to create 3D maps or simulate water flow.

What are some techniques used to visualize scalar functions on a surface?

There are various techniques for visualizing scalar functions on a surface, such as contour plots, heat maps, and 3D surface plots. These techniques help to visually represent the variation of the scalar function over the surface and make it easier to analyze and interpret the data.