How do I calculate lines of constant pressure in a Brayton cycle diagram?

• Thread starter ingmarvandijk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle
In summary, the speaker is new and seeking help with creating "Brayton cycle diagrams" for a study on jet engine efficiency. They are familiar with calculating temperature and entropy changes, but are struggling with calculating lines of constant pressure in the diagrams. They are asking for help and clarification on how to calculate these isobars.
ingmarvandijk
Hey guys (and girls?)

I'm new here, just registered, because I have a problem that my textbooks or google can't help me with:

I am making "Brayton cycle diagrams" for a study in jet engine efficiency. It's basically a Temperature - Entropy diagram for those of you who are unfamiliar with it. I know how to calculate the temperature increase with a pressure increase (basic isentropic relationships), and the entropy increase with fuel addition (delta S = q * LN( delta T)).

The problem I'm having is calculating lines of constant pressure in this diagram. Every source talks about them, but no source tells me how to calculate them. I know they are supposed to be increasing curves (the temperature difference for a pressure ratio is higher at higher entropy).

Does anyone have a clue to calculate these isobars?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Some extra insight:

There are 2 important processes.
The first one is compression, where the pressure increases, the temperature as a result, and the entropy remains constant.
The second process is heat addition (or subtraction) where the temperature changes and the entropy follows

Also, in the formula for fuel addition it should of course be LN(T2/T1) instead of Delta T.

Last edited:

To calculate lines of constant pressure in a Brayton cycle diagram, you can use the ideal gas law and the definition of enthalpy. The ideal gas law states that pressure (P) and temperature (T) are directly proportional, so as pressure increases, temperature also increases. This can be represented by a straight line on a Temperature-Entropy diagram.

To calculate the slope of this line, you can use the definition of enthalpy (H = U + PV) and the first law of thermodynamics (dH = dQ + dW). This will give you the equation dH = dQ + PdV. Since the process in a Brayton cycle is isentropic (constant entropy), dQ = 0. Therefore, dH = PdV. This means that the slope of the line of constant pressure is equal to the change in enthalpy divided by the change in volume.

To determine the exact values for the lines of constant pressure, you will need to use the specific heat ratio (γ) of the gas in the cycle. This can be found in your textbook or through online sources. The equation for the specific heat ratio is γ = C_p / C_v, where C_p is the specific heat at constant pressure and C_v is the specific heat at constant volume.

Once you have the value for γ, you can use the equation P = ρRT to calculate the pressure at any given point on the diagram, where ρ is the density of the gas and R is the gas constant. Then, using the equation for the slope of the line (dH = PdV), you can calculate the enthalpy values for each pressure point.

In summary, to calculate lines of constant pressure in a Brayton cycle diagram, you will need to use the ideal gas law, the definition of enthalpy, and the specific heat ratio of the gas. With these equations, you can determine the slope and exact values for each line of constant pressure. I hope this helps and good luck with your study on jet engine efficiency!

1. What is a Brayton cycle?

A Brayton cycle is a thermodynamic cycle that describes the operation of a gas turbine engine. It consists of four main processes: compression, heating, expansion, and cooling. This cycle is commonly used in jet engines and power generation systems.

2. What is the purpose of a Brayton cycle?

The purpose of a Brayton cycle is to convert heat energy into mechanical work. This is achieved by using a working fluid, typically air, to undergo a series of processes that result in the rotation of a turbine. This rotation can then be used to power an aircraft or generate electricity.

3. How does a Brayton cycle differ from other thermodynamic cycles?

A Brayton cycle differs from other thermodynamic cycles, such as the Otto and Diesel cycles, in that it operates on a continuous flow of gas rather than a series of discrete cycles. It also does not involve any liquid-vapor phase changes, making it more efficient and suitable for high power applications.

4. What are the advantages of using a Brayton cycle?

One of the main advantages of a Brayton cycle is its high efficiency. It can achieve higher compression ratios and operate at higher temperatures compared to other thermodynamic cycles. It also has a simple design and can be easily scaled up for larger applications.

5. What are the real-world applications of a Brayton cycle?

The Brayton cycle is commonly used in gas turbine engines for aircraft propulsion and electricity generation. It is also used in industrial applications, such as in natural gas compression and refrigeration systems. Additionally, it is being researched for potential use in renewable energy systems, such as solar power plants.