Can Scorpion Venom Help Treat Glioblastoma?

• News
  • Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, Senator Edward M. Kennedy was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor after suffering a seizure, which experts predict gives him less than a year to live. His family is all too familiar with sudden, tragic news. If he resigns or dies in office, a special election will be held for his seat. The potential candidates include both Democrats and Republicans. Glioblastoma is a particularly aggressive type of cancer, but there have been promising developments in treatment using I-131 labeled scorpion venom.
turbo
Gold Member
His recent seizure probably resulted from the tumor. A close friend of mine died of glioblastoma several years ago. It was pretty aggressive and her doctors gave her 6 months - the cute little scrapper took 18. I miss her.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/ap_on_re_us/kennedy;_ylt=ApBX4s57twwVphIPFPb0q7qs0NUE

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cue Hillary saying "See? That's why he endorsed Obama! Vote for me instead!"

AP/Yahoo said:
BOSTON - Sen. Edward M. Kennedy was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor Tuesday in what could be the grim final chapter in a life marked by exhilarating triumph and shattering tragedy. Some experts gave the liberal lion less than a year to live.

Doctors discovered the tumor after the 76-year-old senator and sole surviving son of America's most storied political family suffered a seizure over the weekend. The diagnosis cast a pall over Capitol Hill, where the Massachusetts Democrat has served since 1962, and came as a shock to a family all too accustomed to sudden, calamitous news. . . .
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080520/ap_on_go_co/kennedy

If he's already had a seizure due to the tumor, it would seem that it is relatively advanced. Presumably he needs surgery if he wishes to buy time, but that my depend on the location of the tumor.

Kennedy, the Senate's second-longest serving member, was re-elected in 2006 and is not up for election again until 2012. Were he to resign or die in office, state law requires a special election for the seat 145 to 160 days afterward.

Among the potential Democratic candidates: Martha Coakley, the state's attorney general; Rep. Edward J. Markey; former Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy II, Kennedy's nephew; and Kennedy's wife. The Republican contenders could include former Gov. Mitt Romney or former Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey.
So we wait to see if he resigns or continues to stay in office through the Nov. election or beyond.

When one of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glial_cell" goes bad it goes really bad. I've known a few people that had glial blastoma type cancers and one with an astrocytoma. What a terrible thing.

http://www.braintumorfoundation.org/tumors/primer.htm"

There have been good advances with treating gliomas using I-131 labeled scorpion venom. Not a surefire cure, but at least it holds promise.

1. What type of brain tumor does Ted Kennedy have?

Ted Kennedy was diagnosed with a malignant glioma, specifically a glioblastoma multiforme, which is a type of aggressive brain tumor.

2. How serious is Ted Kennedy's brain tumor?

Glioblastoma multiforme is a very serious and aggressive type of brain tumor. It has a high mortality rate and can be difficult to treat.

3. What are the symptoms of Ted Kennedy's brain tumor?

The symptoms of Ted Kennedy's brain tumor may include headaches, seizures, changes in mood or personality, difficulty with speech or movement, and cognitive impairments.

4. Has Ted Kennedy received treatment for his brain tumor?

Yes, Ted Kennedy underwent surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy to treat his brain tumor. However, the tumor was ultimately deemed inoperable and he passed away in 2009.

5. Is there a genetic component to Ted Kennedy's brain tumor?

There is no evidence to suggest that Ted Kennedy's brain tumor was caused by a genetic factor. However, certain types of brain tumors can run in families and further research is needed to fully understand the link between genetics and brain tumors.