Ideas for A Class Project

In summary, for a Physics of Planetary Science class project, a senior Astrophysics undergraduate could explore computational/mathematical problems in orbital mechanics, such as characterizing exoplanetary systems, solving the three-body problem, or modeling accretion disks. These projects would involve looking into methods for determining orbital elements, simulating dynamical evolution, and detecting exoplanets and accretion disks.
darkchild
I need to do a class project for a Physics of Planetary Science course. I'd like to do it on problems with/possible improvements on computational/mathematical methods in some aspect of orbital mechanics. Please let me know if you know of any specific contemporary computational/mathematical problems in this area (or in any area that might be relevant to this course, such as accretion, detection of extrasolar planets, or the 3-body problem) that would be accessible to a senior Astrophysics undergrad, and simple enough to complete a short paper on in about two weeks. Thanks.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
One possible project could be exploring methods for better characterizing exoplanetary systems. This could involve looking into computational/mathematical methods for determining the orbital elements of a system, or even methods for simulating the dynamical evolution of the system over time. Additionally, this project could look into different methods for detecting exoplanets, such as transit photometry, radial velocity measurements, or direct imaging. Another possible project could be exploring methods for solving the three-body problem. This could involve looking into numerical methods for approximating solutions to the equations of motion, or methods for simulating the dynamical evolution of the system over time. Additionally, this project could look into different stochastic methods for solving the three-body problem, such as Monte Carlo simulations or Markov Chain Monte Carlo methods. Finally, another potential project could be exploring methods for modeling accretion disks around stars. This could involve looking into computational and mathematical methods for understanding the structure and evolution of these disks, or methods for simulating the dynamics of the system. Additionally, this project could look into different methods for detecting accretion disks, such as spectroscopy or imaging.

What are some factors to consider when choosing an idea for a class project?

When choosing an idea for a class project, it is important to consider the scope of the project, the resources and time available, the interests and abilities of the students, and the educational objectives of the class.

How can I come up with a unique and creative idea for a class project?

One way to come up with a unique and creative idea for a class project is to brainstorm with a group of students or colleagues. You can also draw inspiration from current events, personal experiences, or other class projects that have been successful in the past.

What types of projects are suitable for different subjects or grade levels?

The types of projects that are suitable for different subjects or grade levels can vary greatly. For example, a science class may require a hands-on experiment, while a history class may require a research paper. It is important to align the project with the subject and the level of difficulty appropriate for the students.

How can I ensure that my class project is engaging and educational?

To ensure that your class project is engaging and educational, it is important to incorporate elements such as hands-on activities, group work, and real-world applications. It is also helpful to provide clear learning objectives and to allow for student choice and creativity within the project.

What resources are available to help me with my class project?

There are many resources available to help with class projects, such as textbooks, online resources, and educational websites. Your school or local library may also have resources specific to your subject or grade level. Additionally, reaching out to other teachers or professionals in the field can provide valuable insights and support.