Can you live without a cell phone?

• Thread starter Williams.235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary: I'm pretty much just a phone person now.In summary, people have different opinions on cell phones. Some people find them helpful, while others don't use them. Some people have them for emergencies, while others don't.

Do you carry a cellphone?

• Yes, I carry a cellphone.

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No, I don't carry a cellphone.

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
Williams.235
I have a few friends who live without one and I can't understand how they do it. What do you all think?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I carry one. But I think I'd probably remain alive if I stopped carrying one, for whatever reason.

I have a teenage daughter - don't know how we would ever talk to each other if we didn't have cell phones :rolleyes: .

I have a cellphone because it's free, but before that I went years without one. They are nice to carry with you in case of an emergency. Aside from that I rarely use mine.

I have friends that don't have one, these are the same people that don't have tv's either, come to think of it.

I have a cell phone but I never touch it. My parents gave it to me.

I always have my laptop with me :) and I cannot live without it!

I have a cell phone to the exclusion of a land line. I don't use it that much, though.

No cellphone. My pockets are full enough as it is.

I use payphones when I really need to reach someone.

I have one and I enjoy it - in many situations it makes live much easier. But if I forget to take it with me when leaving home, that's not a big deal, I can live without it.

I have a cell phone. If I didn't have my own, my job would give me one since I'm on call for emergencies once in a while. Without at least a pager, I'd have to stay home by the phone when I'm on call. Considering I've actually been called in 3 times in 6 years, staying home awaiting an emergency would suck.

I don't have a cellphone, my wife doesn't have a cellphone, and our daughter has yet to pester us for one.

I have one but I've never used it since I got it. So now it resides in its box in my drawer.

I didn't used to carry a cell phone, but as I got more involved in ERT/EMT activities (emergency response teams & medical), it became clear to me that it was a very necessary tool. If I weren't involved in those types of activities, I'm not sure I would carry one...

I have one, I take pride in that it is already 5 years old :tongue: (some people get a new one every 6 mo.). The keys have worn away, so I probably need to replace it some day. Who wouldn't want to be able to get in touch with someone when you need to?

My mother "offered" one to me so she can call me. But nobody will force a TV in my home. Otherwise, I'm out :smile:

I carry a cell phone, but could easily do without. My daughter, on the other hand, would DIE if she lost hers.

humanino said:
My mother "offered" one to me so she can call me.

wow, my mom also did the same thing - but I hardly ever take it with me :approve:.

rootX said:
wow, my mom also did the same thing - but I hardly ever take it with me :approve:.
And then you see parents claiming their kinds can't get off their phones... The question is thus "with whom are they talking !?"

Have one, but seldom use it, and never to "just talk".

When I'm in the lab in the weekends I always carry my cellphone on me, I don't feel safe without it since most of the building (especially the campus) is deserted. It is also very handy to let your significant other know you will be home soon and that dinner can be served :smile: It's for these kind of messages that it is useful. Oh, and it is also a perfect alarm clock :biggrin:

I have had 2 and lost both of them, i never used them any way and since they were pay as you go i have not even bothered looking for them, they are probably with my boots some where.

I have a prepaid cell for emergencies (like a broken water-pump 20-30 miles back in the woods at a remote pond), but never use it. After the idler pulley on my power-steering belt seized up 20 miles back in the woods on a discontinued logging road, my wife insisted that I get one.

I'm 20 and yet to own one (well I had one for a month while I was living in NY, but more as a means of not having to get into a phone plan [I used Virgin]). I do just fine. All of my friends and their grandmother have one so if I need one I just use theirs.

I'm going to get one this year though once I start school. Now facebook. Naw, I couldn't live without facebook.

I have one, but could live without it. Mostly, I use it to get reminders of meetings. I also use it as an alarm clock, which is what makes it useful for meeting reminders...if I forget an early meeting and don't set the alarm early enough, I get the SMS reminder in just enough time to throw clothes on and get to work. I use it as an alarm clock because I can change the ringtones and set multiple alarms, so I don't get used to it and sleep through it like I do most alarm clocks.

On the rare occasion I want to make a personal call while at work, it's handy, also handy when I'm at the farm and not near a phone.

But if I didn't have the phone, I'd find ways to handle all of the above without it. Most of the time, I don't even carry it with me, it just sits in my purse in my office.

I am counting the days until my contract runs out. The early-termination fee for my carrier is something like $175, which is insane.

Good by contract and hello pre-paid!

Williams.235 said:
I am counting the days until my contract runs out. The early-termination fee for my carrier is something like $175, which is insane.

Good by contract and hello pre-paid!
Contract rates are much cheaper than pre-paid, unless you never use it. But the pre-paid minutes expire if you don't use them and you risk needing to make a call only to find that the phone is dead because your minutes expired.

Evo said:
Contract rates are much cheaper than pre-paid, unless you never use it. But the pre-paid minutes expire if you don't use them and you risk needing to make a call only to find that the phone is dead because your minutes expired.
If you buy into a plan with lots of minutes with TracFone, you will get a premium phone, double minutes, and your initial minutes are good for the life of the phone when you keep buying minutes before your year is up and keep the phone active. Some pre-paid plans are quite attractive.

I actually have two phones. I'm sure I'd live without either but in my opinion they are a necessary convince. My iPhones is a little over the top but, I also have a basic cellphone. My professor, school, friends, etc.. sends out text messages for class cancellations and emergency notifications (like weather, or that there is a nut case on campus in nothing but a robe and combat boots [serious]). I'm sure those who grew up with said technology grew more attached and more dependent over the years, where as those who didn't have it manage without with because that's what they were used to their whole lives.

When I went off to college, my parents' phone was a wall-mounted dinosaur with a magneto to ring the local switchboard. When I came home for Christmas break, they had a clunky dial phone with no battery-box. Yay!

I have one and I can't live without it. I'm too dependant on it, lol. My grandma says that in years to come, the young children being born, will be born with one attached to their head already. :biggrin:

Cell phones give you brain cancer, can you hear me now?...

Cyrus said:
Cell phones give you brain cancer, can you hear me now?...

Not if you substitute calling with text-messaging. You'll just get carpal tunnel instead :)

offtheleft said:
Not if you substitute calling with text-messaging. You'll just get carpal tunnel instead :)

I wonder if the cell phone is radiating energy while it's sitting there waiting for a call...

Texting is a good alternative. Although, you could get one of those nifty star-treky headsets that connects to your cell phone. But of course you do run the risk (99.99%) of looking like a douche bag while wearing it. When my friend and I are in public and we see someone wearing said headset we look at them and start laughing out loud at how stupid they look. Its the simple things in life... can you hear me now?

http://www.mobilewhack.com/motorola-h12-bluetooth-headset.jpg

Im from the future...do I look as cool as I feel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
I wonder if the cell phone is radiating energy while it's sitting there waiting for a call...
Well, it has a finite temperature, right ? :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
http://www.mobilewhack.com/motorola-h12-bluetooth-headset.jpg

Im from the future...do I look as cool as I feel?

Not nearly as cool as this guy...

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8/phonedorknt7.jpg

No, the coolest is
http://www.humorupload.com/files/fvcJE8L6t.jpg

thum004.jpg