Lagrangian question. ability to remove time derivative terms.

In summary: QUOTE]In summary, in the solution of a pendulum attached to a wheel problem, it was discovered that a term of the form \frac{df}{dt} can be removed from the Lagrangian without affecting the equations of motion. This is true for functions f that only depend on the coordinates q and not on the velocities \dot{q}. This property is known as invariance and can be proven using the theorem that a function satisfies Lagrange's equations if and only if it is a total time derivative of another function.
Peeter
In the solution of a pendulum attached to a wheel problem, I was initially suprised to see that a term of the form:

[tex]
\frac{df}{dt}
[/tex]

"can be removed from the Lagrangian since it will have no effect on the equations of motion".

ie: [itex]L' = L \pm df/dt[/itex] gives identical results.

f in this case was cos(\omega t + \theta) where theta was the generalized coordinate.

I confirmed this for the cosine function in this example by taking derivatives, and then confirmed that this is in fact a pretty general condition, given two conditions:

1) equality of mixed partials:
[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t \partial q^i} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial q^i \partial t}
[/tex]

2) no dependence on velocity coordinates for time partial derivative:

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial \dot{q}^i \partial t} = 0
[/tex]

Does this ability to add/remove time derivatives of functions from the Lagrangian that aren't velocity dependent have a name?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think everything you are writing here is making sense.

Peeter said:
In the solution of a pendulum attached to a wheel problem, I was initially suprised to see that a term of the form:

[tex]
\frac{df}{dt}
[/tex]

"can be removed from the Lagrangian since it will have no effect on the equations of motion".

ie: [itex]L' = L \pm df/dt[/itex] gives identical results.

I see that this is true if the [tex]f[/tex] is a function of the coordinates, like [tex]f(q)[/tex]. However, if you set it to be a function of the velocities too, like [tex]f(q,\dot{q})[/tex], which seems to be the case since you are calculating a partial derivative

[tex]
\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial \dot{q}^i \partial t} = 0
[/tex]

you are going to get an expression

[tex]
\frac{df}{dt} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial q_i}\dot{q}_i + \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{q}_i} \ddot{q}_i
[/tex]

What are you going to do with the [tex]\ddot{q}_i[/tex] in the Lagrange's function, which is supposed to be a function of [tex](q,\dot{q})[/tex] only?

jostpuur said:
I see that this is true if the [tex]f[/tex] is a function of the coordinates, like [tex]f(q)[/tex]. However, if you set it to be a function of the velocities too, like [tex]f(q,\dot{q})[/tex],

Sorry, that's exactly what I implied, [itex]f = f(q^1, ... q^n, t)[/itex] only, and not of any of the [itex]\dot{q}^i[/itex] velocities. (ie: functions like the cos(wt + theta) of the example).

For functions like that you can add or substract arbitrary time derivatives (given the mixed partial equality) just like you can add or subtract constants. Is that considered too obvious to be a named property (it wasn't to me;)

I don't know if there is some specific name for this property, but it would be justified to say that the equations of motion are invariant under some class of transformations of the Lagrange's function, [tex]L\mapsto L + df/dt[/tex]. So if you insist on getting some fancy word into this thing, I would suggest the invariance :wink:

Another thing: Are you sure that it is allowable to let f depend explicitly on time? I just proved this result quickly for the case [tex]f(q)[/tex], to see what's going on, but I hit some problems when trying to do the same for [tex]f(q,t)[/tex]. It could that I didn't put enough time into it yet, though...

I was looking for a name, since I thought that would help remember it. Yes, I'm sure it is allowable for f(q, t). I can type up my notes on this later if you want.

Peeter said:
Yes, I'm sure it is allowable for f(q, t). I can type up my notes on this later if you want.

I see this now. I must have made a mistake with my previous calculations.

Peeter said:
I was looking for a name, since I thought that would help remember it. Yes, I'm sure it is allowable for f(q, t). I can type up my notes on this later if you want.

Yes, we say that L and L' are IDENTICAL up to a total time derivative. There is no name, but there is the following theorem:

"A function of [itex]q(t), \dot{q}(t)[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex] satisfies Lagrange's equations identically (independent of q(t)) if, and only if, it is a total time derivative of some function [itex]\Lambda \left(q(t),t\right)[/itex]."

I invite you to prove the tricky "only if" part of the theorem. :wink:

regards

sam

What is the Lagrangian question?

The Lagrangian question is a problem in mathematical physics that involves finding a function that describes the dynamics of a system. It is named after the mathematician and physicist Joseph-Louis Lagrange who developed a mathematical method for solving this type of problem.

What is the purpose of the Lagrangian question?

The purpose of the Lagrangian question is to find a function, known as the Lagrangian, that describes the motion of a system using a set of equations called the Euler-Lagrange equations. This allows for a more efficient and elegant way of solving problems in mechanics and other fields of physics.

What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian method?

One of the main advantages of using the Lagrangian method is that it allows for the removal of time derivative terms from the equations of motion. This simplifies the equations and makes them easier to solve, especially for complex systems.

What types of systems can be described using the Lagrangian method?

The Lagrangian method can be applied to a wide range of systems, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. It is a powerful tool for describing the dynamics of both simple and complex systems.

Are there any limitations to the Lagrangian method?

The Lagrangian method has some limitations, such as its inability to describe systems with non-conservative forces or those that involve friction. In these cases, other methods, such as the Hamiltonian method, may be more suitable for solving the problem at hand.