Gravity, forces, and feeling your weight

In summary: In a perfectly elastic world, the geometry of spacetime would cause all objects to follow the same path. However, the world is not perfectly elastic, so you will feel the force of the gravitational field.
Tomtom
Hi there! I was wondering if you folks could give me a little enlightenment.

Two days ago, I read a quote which led Einstein to a couple of brilliant discoveries about not being able to discern a force and gravity; if you're inside a box. The quote said that Einstein was suddenly struck by the thought that a person in free-fall, does not feel his own weight.

I fully agree with that thought. But when do you feel your weight? Is it when a force acts on a object which is already being "forced" in the opposite direction? Or is it merely when you experience an acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tomtom said:
Hi there! I was wondering if you folks could give me a little enlightenment.

Two days ago, I read a quote which led Einstein to a couple of brilliant discoveries about not being able to discern a force and gravity; if you're inside a box. The quote said that Einstein was suddenly struck by the thought that a person in free-fall, does not feel his own weight.

I fully agree with that thought. But when do you feel your weight? Is it when a force acts on a object which is already being "forced" in the opposite direction? Or is it merely when you experience an acceleration?

You "feel" your weight when there is a "counter force" acting usually on your feet. In this case, we call this a normal force acting "upwards".

If you are in an elevator in a free fall, everything is falling at the same rate at any instant - you, the elevator floor, etc. So the elevator floor is not pushing back up on you. Nothing is. You no longer feel your weight. So it is this counter, normal force that gives you your feel of your weight.

Zz.

Aha ;) Thanks! (And I am familiar with Normal force, etc.)

So, could you say that you feel a force because your body is being stretched or compressed? Well, don't know if you understood my point with that one, but in any case, I feel that I understand Einstein's point. Brilliant ;)

You can never feel your own weight. You can, however, feel your apparent weight. Weight is tautologically defined as mass times the acceleration due to gravity; i.e., the gravitational force acting on a body. Apparent weight is the net sum of all forces acting on a body except for gravity. If you are standing on the surface of the Earth the two are nearly equal but opposite. (The rotation of the Earth makes your apparent weight a tiny bit smaller than your actual weight.)

To the pilot of fighter jet pulling out of a steep dive, there is a large difference between actual and apparent weight. The pilot's actual weight doesn't change, but his apparent weight can be several times your actual weight.

So, could you say that you feel a force because your body is being stretched or compressed?

This is not the cause of feeling our weight, but because the strength of a gravitational field will vary somewhat over any spatially extended body, all macroscopic objects are stretched by gravitational tidal forces. This is a separate issue from feeling our own weight, though.

The reason you feel your weight is because there is a chair or floor in the way of your natural motion, to follow a geodesic in a curved spacetime.

What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to one another. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for keeping us grounded on Earth.

How does gravity affect our daily lives?

Gravity affects our daily lives in many ways. It keeps us from floating off into space, allows us to walk and run, and helps objects stay in place. It also plays a role in many natural phenomena, such as the tides and the formation of galaxies.

Why do we feel weightless in space?

In space, objects are still subject to the force of gravity, but they are in a state of freefall. This means that they are constantly falling towards the Earth, but they are also moving fast enough to never actually hit the ground. This creates a feeling of weightlessness.

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Mass remains constant regardless of location, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

How does gravity affect the shape of objects in space?

Gravity can affect the shape of objects in space through a process called tidal forces. These forces cause objects to become elongated or squashed depending on their distance from a massive body, such as a planet or star.