Creating Accurate Low-Cost Circuit to Convert 120VAC Current to Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a simple circuit to convert current on a 120VAC line into a voltage. The individual has tried using a shunt resistor and two op-amps, but is having trouble with high parts count and exceeding pin voltage. They are seeking suggestions for simplifying the circuit, including the use of a current transformer or current clamp meter. Some suggestions are given, such as placing the shunt on the low side of the load and using isolating op-amps.
J_Sieg
Hi,
I'm looking to create a simple circuit to convert current on a nominal 120VAC line into a voltage. I have a few designs but am having some difficulty keeping parts count low and maintaining accuracy.

What I have is as follows:
- I am using a shunt resistor, outputting 1mV per ampere of current (0-15mV total).
- I take the output from the shunt resistor (120VAC +/- 15mV) and use it as an input for two op-amps (running single supply [+3V] differential amplification).
- From the op-amps, I take the output and make it positive only via some diodes, then through a filtering capacitor.
- This gives me a voltage proportional to the current, or should..

The problems I am having have to deal with two things...
First is parts count. That is a hugely inefficient way to do things, having two entire amplification circuits, even with a dual op amp. I am wondering if there is a way to do this with a single amp.
Second, pin voltage is exceeded, as even though the voltage differential is 15mV max, it is on a 120V offset.

Do any of you have ideas on how to simplify this circuit? Op amps that might handle 120V on a pin, preferably at a low cost? That also take monopolar power? I tried a voltage divider, but if I divide the offset, I also divide the signal and lower my read resolution.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Two words: Current Transformer.

That would be nice, and non-contact, too...
But how could I get 3V for 15A? What is the inductance of the primary wire? Orientation of the other coil? How do I calibrate it?

edit: forgot to specify, it would be ideal if this was non-disruptive (ie, could be installed as either a pass-through device or purely inductive, with no need for circuit disconnection/disassembly to install the unit).

Last edited:

Depending on how much current you're trying to measure, maybe a Hall Effect sensor? CUI makes some (sold at DigiKey), but it starts around 3A:
http://www.cui.com/srchresults.asp?catky=560054&subcatky=731029&subcatky2=825892 [Broken]

But if you only want to take one or two-off measurements (and you're not, say, designing instrumentation or making a long-term current monitor / logger), buy yourself a current clamp as berkeman suggests. Aside from Fluke, Extech and Meterman make more affordable (yet high-quality) clamps. If you want to splurge, get the ones that do AC AND DC current measurement (the cheaper ones only do AC--which might be all you need).

Last edited by a moderator:

Why don't you put the shunt on the low side of the load? That will give you a much smaller signal within your op-amps input range.

that Fluke clamp-on Berkeman suggests is a godsend to troubleshooters. I scored one at a flea matket.

guestimating said:
Why don't you put the shunt on the low side of the load? That will give you a much smaller signal within your op-amps input range.

great suggestion !

you can put your shunt in the neutral wire but place the whole works in an insulated box with no exposed metal.
Reason: By Murphy's law, second time you use it you'll plug it into a recetpacle that was wired backwards, hot and neutral reversed, and the smoke will be let out of your opamps.

google "high side current sense" there's several other techniques. Isolating opamps is one of them.

1. How do I determine the appropriate components for my circuit?

The first step in creating an accurate low-cost circuit to convert 120VAC current to voltage is to determine the required components. This includes selecting the appropriate resistors, capacitors, and diodes based on the desired voltage output and input current. The values of these components can be calculated using Ohm's Law and the circuit's specifications.

2. How can I ensure the accuracy of the circuit?

To ensure the accuracy of the circuit, it is important to use high-quality components and follow the circuit design carefully. Additionally, using a multimeter to measure the voltage output at various points in the circuit can help identify any errors and make necessary adjustments.

3. Can I use this circuit for other input voltages?

While this circuit is designed specifically for converting 120VAC current to voltage, it can be modified for use with other input voltages. The values of the components would need to be adjusted accordingly, taking into account the input voltage and desired output voltage.

4. Will this circuit work with different types of loads?

This circuit can be used with various types of loads, including resistive, inductive, and capacitive loads. However, the values of the components may need to be adjusted depending on the characteristics of the specific load being used.

5. Is it possible to make this circuit even more cost-effective?

Yes, there are multiple ways to make this circuit more cost-effective. One option is to use lower-cost components, such as resistors and capacitors with higher tolerances. Additionally, designing the circuit for maximum efficiency can help reduce the cost of operation in the long run.