What is causing my Pspice simulation to fail?

In summary, I am trying to run a simulation on a circuit that I have, but I get a message saying the other program is busy. I don't know what the other program is, and when I try to choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program, my Vista Start menu comes up.
Ald
I have a simple circuit 2v supply R and Diode in Pspice that I'm trying to run a simulation on. I get the following message.

"This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the problem."

I have no idea what the other program is they are referring to. When I choose 'Switch To' button my Vista Start menu comes up.

The Pspice forum doesn't seem to be too active, does anyone know of a more helpful Pspice forum.

Thanks

Attachments

• PS0047.jpg
    PS0047.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 701
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why does it say "Server Busy"? Are you running the program locally, or over a network? Looks to be a server or license server issue.

I'm running a Student version of Pspice locally. It was running okay.

Ald said:
I'm running a Student version of Pspice locally. It was running okay.

I did a quick google search on +pspice +"server busy", and got a few hits that seemed to imply there may be some time limit or something on some versions of PSpice. Is your version maybe an evaluation version, rather than a full Student Edition? If you look in the Help section under licensing or limitations, does it talk about a time limit?

The SW is a demo version, best I can tell no time limited. It is crippled in terms of number parts that can be configured.

I did a bit of googling, and it looks like Cadence/Orcad no longer offers a demo/student version? There are other places on the Internet where you can download "free" demo versions, but my impression is that they are left-over from old versions, and not supported now.

There are other free SPICE simulators available, if that is an option for you.

Thanks for your time and effort, but I have to use PSpice, it's for a class. I'll look around and see if one of the older version will do the job for me. Thanks again.

Can you aim to one of the older free versions, thanks.

1. What is Pspice simulation and why is it important?

Pspice simulation is a software tool used for electronic circuit simulation. It allows engineers and scientists to predict the behavior of electronic circuits before they are physically built, saving time and resources. Pspice simulation is important because it helps in the design and testing of electronic circuits, ensuring their functionality and reliability.

2. How do I set up a Pspice simulation?

To set up a Pspice simulation, you will first need to create a schematic of your electronic circuit using the Pspice software. Then, you will need to add components and specify their values and properties. Next, you will need to define the simulation parameters, such as the type of analysis (DC, AC, transient), simulation time, and step size. Finally, you can run the simulation and analyze the results.

3. What types of circuits can be simulated using Pspice?

Pspice can simulate a wide range of electronic circuits, including analog, digital, and mixed-signal circuits. It can also simulate complex circuits with multiple components and subcircuits. Pspice is commonly used to simulate operational amplifiers, filters, power supplies, and other electronic devices.

4. What are the common errors encountered in Pspice simulations?

Some common errors in Pspice simulations include convergence errors, which occur when the simulation cannot reach a steady state solution, and syntax errors, which occur when there are mistakes in the circuit schematic or simulation settings. Other errors can be caused by incorrect component values, incorrect simulation settings, or incompatible models.

5. Can Pspice simulations be used for real-world applications?

Yes, Pspice simulations can be used for real-world applications. However, it is important to note that simulations are only predictions and may not always accurately reflect the behavior of a physical circuit. Therefore, it is always recommended to verify the simulation results with physical testing before implementing a circuit in a real-world application.