Spectral theorem for discontinuous operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a rectangular function in applying the spectral theorem to a differential operator. The possibility of using a sequence of functions to approximate the rectangular function is considered, but it is uncertain if the eigenspectra of the sequence will converge to that of the operator. The conversation also touches on the definition of a function and the completeness of the eigenfunctions in this case.
jdstokes
Hi all,

I'm trying to extract a complete set of states, by applying the spectral theorem to the following differential operator:

[itex]L = -\frac{d^2}{dx^2} + \mathrm{rect}(x)[/itex]

where rect(x) is the (discontinuous) rectangular function:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectangular_function

I have a feeling that this may not be possible because of the discontinuity in rect(x).

On the one hand, tt should be possible to approximate rect(x) by a sequence of functions for which the spectral theorem applies. But on the other hand, I don't think eigenspectra of this sequence is guaranteed to converge to that of L.

Can anyone more familiar with functional analysis confirm my suspicion?

Physics news on Phys.org
why are you using the "rectangular function" which isn't a real function anyway? just break up the domain of the operator in two 3 parts - where rect(x) is zero, where rect(x) = k, and finally where rect(x) is zero again.

outside the square the two eigenfunctions will be exp(ikx) and exp(-ikx) and inside they will be exp(mx) and exp(-mx). they're not orthogonal though, they're dirac orthogonal.

Last edited:
In what sense is a "rectangular function" not a function? What definition of function are you using? By the most common definition of "function", that certainly is a function.

HallsofIvy said:
In what sense is a "rectangular function" not a function? What definition of function are you using? By the most common definition of "function", that certainly is a function.

yea i guess you're right, i don't know what i was thinking saying that. something along the lines that the lines up sides made the function non-single valued.

I thought that for a moment but in the picture given the value at the "break point" is specifically the average of the two constant values.

ice109 said:
why are you using the "rectangular function" which isn't a real function anyway? just break up the domain of the operator in two 3 parts - where rect(x) is zero, where rect(x) = k, and finally where rect(x) is zero again.

outside the square the two eigenfunctions will be exp(ikx) and exp(-ikx) and inside they will be exp(mx) and exp(-mx). they're not orthogonal though, they're dirac orthogonal.

The eigenfunctions are defined piecewise consisting of [itex]\exp(\pm ikx)[/itex] and [itex]\exp(\pm \kappa x)[/itex], with the functions and their first derivatives matched at [itex]\pm 1/2[/itex].

Are you absolutely sure that these piecewise-defined eigenfunctions form a complete set (ie Dirac orthonormal)? In order for this to be the case we must have (with appropriate normalisation)

[itex]\left(\int_{-\infty}^{-1/2} + \int_{-1/2}^{1/2} +\int_{1/2}^{\infty}\right)\psi_k \psi_l dx= \delta (k - l)[/itex].

It is not immediately obvious to me that this will work due to the way [itex]\psi_k[/itex] is defined and those funny integration limits. In fact I'm starting to think that the spectral theorem is not applicable here.

1. What is the Spectral theorem for discontinuous operators?

The Spectral theorem for discontinuous operators is a mathematical theorem that describes the properties of operators on a Hilbert space. It states that every bounded self-adjoint operator can be decomposed into a direct integral of one-dimensional projections, also known as spectral measures.

2. What are discontinuous operators?

Discontinuous operators are operators that do not have a continuous domain or range. They can also be defined as operators that do not preserve continuity of functions. These operators often arise in the study of partial differential equations and other areas of mathematics.

3. How is the Spectral theorem for discontinuous operators different from the Spectral theorem for continuous operators?

The Spectral theorem for discontinuous operators is a generalization of the Spectral theorem for continuous operators. While the latter only applies to bounded self-adjoint operators on a Hilbert space, the former can be applied to unbounded and even non-self-adjoint operators.

4. What are some applications of the Spectral theorem for discontinuous operators?

The Spectral theorem for discontinuous operators has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of quantum mechanics, differential equations, and signal processing. It also has applications in the study of integral equations and inverse problems.

5. Is the Spectral theorem for discontinuous operators difficult to understand?

The Spectral theorem for discontinuous operators can be challenging to understand, as it requires a solid understanding of functional analysis and measure theory. However, with proper background knowledge and practice, it can be comprehended and applied effectively.