Which has the smallest radius?

• Thread starter mrjoe2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the smallest atomic radius is chlorine with a radius of 17.0 pm. The next smallest radius is potassium with a radius of 19.5 pm. Argon is larger with a radius of 20.9 pm.
mrjoe2

Homework Statement

which has the smallest atomic radius: cl-, k+, Ar

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought it was argon, but I am not sure because it does have the most protons to bringin the electrons. please someone reply soon!

Physics news on Phys.org
The radius of an atom is determined by its overall size and its electronegativity, but in this case the atoms are very similar in size. Chlorine is more electronegative and will pull its electrons in more, decreasing its radius. Potassium is very weakly electronegative, and would rather extend its electrons outward, increasing its radius. Argon is noble, and just sits in between.

are you sure about this answer? i don't doubt you or anything, I am just making sure before i engrave this logic into my brain.

i think its argon or potassium because they have the more protons and thus greater attractions. cl- is out for sure. it can't be right sorry

Note all three have the same number of electrons - they differ only by the nucleus charge. The higher the nucles charge, the stronger the attraction.

Yes, I second to Borek answer.

The logic is simple. Positive (nucleus) attract negative (electrons).

So which is more in each atom? Positively charged species? Negatively charged species?

Borek said:
Note all three have the same number of electrons - they differ only by the nucleus charge. The higher the nucles charge, the stronger the attraction.
Ah, I didn't even notice that the charges were the same!

Charges are not the same, number of electrons is.

Of course; my mind has been a bit flighty the past few weeks. I guess I'll stop trying to help!

Gannon said:
Of course; my mind has been a bit flighty the past few weeks. I guess I'll stop trying to help!

No need for that, just slow down when replying :smile: I am hitting the same wall now and again.

1. What is the smallest radius in the universe?

The smallest radius in the universe is currently believed to be the Planck length, which is approximately 1.616199 × 10^-35 meters.

2. Is the smallest radius the same for all objects?

No, the smallest radius can vary depending on the object. For example, the smallest radius of an atom is the size of its nucleus, while the smallest radius of a planet is its core.

3. Can the smallest radius change?

Yes, the smallest radius can change depending on the conditions and properties of the object. For example, the smallest radius of a star can change as it goes through different stages of its life.

4. How is the smallest radius measured?

The smallest radius is measured using various tools and techniques, such as electron microscopes and particle accelerators, depending on the object being studied.

5. Is there a limit to how small a radius can be?

Currently, the Planck length is considered to be the smallest possible radius. However, some theories suggest that there could be even smaller scales that we have yet to discover.