Where Does the Branch Cut of Log(z^2+9) Lie?

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the branch cut of the function f(z) = Log[z^2 +9] where the negative real axis has been removed from the domain of the log function. It is clarified that negative real components cannot be part of the argument of the log function, and they are not part of the domain. The branch cut of log(z) lies on the negative real axis, meaning the branch cut of log(z^2+9) lies on the negative imaginary axis.
FunkyDwarf
Hey guys,

I need to find the branch cut of the function f(z) = Log[z^2 +9] where the negative real axis has been removed from the domain of the log function. Now this is the bit that confuses me, is this saying that we must ensure that no negative real components enter the argument of the log function or is it saying theyre not part of the domain don't worry about them?

Anyway, i factor it out and you get f(z) = log(z+3i)+log(z-3i). My understanding is the branch cut is the line segment(s) on which the function is discontinuous, so are we just saying that the imaginary part of z must be >3i or <-3i ? I'm a bit confoosed =(

Cheers
-G

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle the branch cut makes with the negative real axis is not always 0, is it plum?

FunkyDwarf said:
I need to find the branch cut of the function f(z) = Log[z^2 +9] where the negative real axis has been removed from the domain of the log function. Now this is the bit that confuses me, is this saying that we must ensure that no negative real components enter the argument of the log function
No
FunkyDwarf said:
or is it saying theyre not part of the domain don't worry about them?
Yes. So, this means that the branch cut of log(z) lies on the negative real axis. And that means that the branch cut of log(z^2+9) lies ... where?

1. What is a branch point?

A branch point is a point on a complex function where the function is not single-valued. This means that the function has multiple values at that point, and the choice of value depends on the path taken to approach the point.

2. How is a branch point different from a singular point?

A singular point is a point on a complex function where the function is not defined. This means that the function has no value at that point. A branch point, on the other hand, is a point where the function is not single-valued, but it is still defined.

3. What is a branch cut?

A branch cut is a line or curve on a complex function where the function is discontinuous. It is usually chosen to remove the ambiguity of the function at a branch point, allowing the function to be single-valued on a larger domain.

4. How do branch points and branch cuts affect the behavior of a complex function?

Branch points and branch cuts can significantly alter the behavior of a complex function. They can create discontinuities, change the domain and range of the function, and introduce new branches or sheets to the function.

5. How are branch points and branch cuts used in mathematics and physics?

Branch points and branch cuts are important concepts in complex analysis and are used in various areas of mathematics and physics. They play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of multivalued functions, such as logarithmic and trigonometric functions, and are also used in the study of physical systems with multiple solutions, such as quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.