Reading frequency spectrum / Fourier Transform and Power Spectra

In summary, the conversation discusses a power spectrum of a function that is a superposition of four sinusoidal terms with frequencies ranging from 1xomega to 4xomega. The spectrum shows a triangular shape with two triangles and flat lines. The triangles represent the actual signal with a period of 4.5 ms, and the peaks in the frequency spectrum correspond to the different harmonics of the signal. The presence of these peaks indicates a periodic signal in the time domain.
khemix
So I have a power spectrum of a given function, which is supposed to be a superposition of four sinusoidal terms with frequencies that range from 1xomega to 4xomega. My spectrum looks something like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Triangle-td_and_fd.png

What exactly does this spectrum tell me? I know it plots the length squared of a vector that has the real and imaginary components of the amplitude. Mine looks like the top one of the one I posted, its a triangle but mine only has two triangles and the rest are flat lines.

I unfortunately don't have a book, and the prof only gave us notes on the Fourier transform, so I am really stuck here. How do I interpret a flot of these triangles on the frequency-amplitude plot?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have here is the signal (triangular) and its frequency spectrum. There is no superposition of 4 frequencies. Maybe you are mixing it with something else.
The triangles are the actual signal, with a period of about 4.5 ms (look on the x axis).
The frequency corresponding to this period is about 220 Hz or 0.22 KHz and this is shown by the first peak in the frequency spectrum. The other peaks are higher harmonics or components (without these you'll have a sin wave with the same period but not a triangular shape).

Your questions are a bit unclear.

If you want to interpret the power spectrum, nasu has already interpreted it for you. I would just like to add on a bit. The frequency spectrum pattern clearly shows a periodic signal in the time domain. This is because of the presence of the impulse function peaks that you see at regular intervals of frequencies (i.e. note that these peaks may not look regular for it is possible to have missing harmonics).

If the signal in the time domain is NOT periodic, then the spectrum will look continuous, instead of discrete frequency peaks! (Fourier Transform theory)

1. What is a frequency spectrum?

A frequency spectrum is a graphical representation of the frequencies present in a signal. It shows the amplitude of each frequency component in the signal, allowing for analysis of the signal's frequency content.

2. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its individual frequency components. It converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, allowing for analysis of the signal's frequency content.

3. How is the Fourier Transform related to the frequency spectrum?

The Fourier Transform and frequency spectrum are closely related. The Fourier Transform is used to calculate the frequency spectrum, which shows the frequency components present in a signal and their corresponding amplitudes.

4. What is a Power Spectra?

A Power Spectra is a plot of the power or energy of each frequency component in a signal. It is calculated by taking the square of the magnitude of the Fourier Transform of the signal.

5. Why is analyzing frequency spectrum and Power Spectra important in science?

Analyzing frequency spectrum and Power Spectra allows scientists to understand the frequency content of a signal, which can provide valuable information about the underlying physical processes or systems. It is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, physics, and engineering to analyze and interpret data.