Reynold's Number for a Cantilever Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a cantilever beam and wind flow, where a thermal anemometer is used to measure velocities at various points along the beam. The issue of calculating the Reynolds Number for this flow is brought up, with suggestions to consider the thickness of the beam as the characteristic length. Further research into flat plate tests is suggested.
Slayden
Good Evening!

I've been looking at this problem for a bit and I am a little stumped on it. I asked two graduate level Fluids TAs and my other classmates and they are stumped as well. I hope that you can help...

I am doing an experiment that involves a cantilever beam and wind flow that is forcing the beam to deflect downward. The flow bench is positioned above the cantilever and is blowing the air in the same direction as the deflection. I am then taking a thermal anemometer and measuring the velocities at points just above and below the beam, starting at the center of the beam and working my way out until the velocity is zero. I hope to achieve a measured flow pattern around the beam from the anemometer.

I am trying to non-dimensionalize my flow velocities for my results and I am having an issue figuring out how to characterize the Reynolds Number for this flow. I was using D as the distance from the center line axis of the cantilever (perpendicular to the flow) but I don't think that is right. How would you calculate a Reynolds Number for this type of problem?

Let me know if you need help visualizing it.

Thank you,

C.S.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think I need help visualizing it. From what I understand you basically have a long rectangular object immersed in a moving fluid and you are trying to measure its velocity profile using a manometer. If this is the case then you would just calculate the Reynolds number the same way you would for any immersed body. I would just consider the sides of the beam (you don't give any info about geometry so I'm assuming its square) as flat plates and determine your Rel at the trailing edge of the side of the beam.

http://nedyals.com/images/normalflowdiagram.jpg

If that helps a little bit.

The beam is just a regular rectangular cantilever beam that is placed in the flow. The dashed red lines signify the planes that I measured the flow velocity in at 5 millimeter increments, starting at the the mid point of the beam and moving out 50 millimeters. The top line ends up just being the freestream velocity out of the air bench. The other three is greatly changed by the body within the flow.

With the average velocity through the thermal anemometer measured, all I need is to figure out the characteristic dimension to be used...and that is which stumped me. Should every position measured have it's own Reynolds number since it is at a different location? I was using the distance from the centerline of the beam but I just have a tingle in the back of my mind that won't go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
The D in the Reynolds number is actually a convention for some characteristic length. Have you seen any tests with the RE being calculated for a flow perpendicular to a flat plate? In other flat plate tests, the characteristic length is the length along the plate. In your case the thickness of the plate is in the direction of the flow so I would think that that is your number. Try doing some looking into flat plate tests.

1. What is Reynold's Number for a Cantilever Beam?

Reynold's Number for a Cantilever Beam is a dimensionless value used to determine the flow regime (laminar or turbulent) of a fluid passing over a cantilever beam. It is defined as the product of density, velocity, and characteristic length of the beam divided by the dynamic viscosity of the fluid.

2. How is Reynold's Number calculated for a Cantilever Beam?

Reynold's Number is calculated using the formula Re = (ρ * v * L) / μ, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the fluid, L is the characteristic length of the cantilever beam, and μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid.

3. What is the significance of Reynold's Number in relation to a Cantilever Beam?

Reynold's Number is important because it helps determine the flow regime of a fluid passing over a cantilever beam. For low Reynold's Numbers, the flow is typically laminar, meaning the fluid moves in smooth, parallel layers. For high Reynold's Numbers, the flow is turbulent, meaning the fluid moves in an irregular pattern with eddies and swirls.

4. How does Reynold's Number affect the performance of a Cantilever Beam?

The value of Reynold's Number can affect the performance of a cantilever beam in terms of drag and lift forces. For low Reynold's Numbers, the drag force is typically smaller, but the lift force is also smaller. For high Reynold's Numbers, the drag force is larger, but the lift force is also larger. This can impact the stability and overall behavior of the cantilever beam.

5. How can Reynold's Number be controlled for a Cantilever Beam?

Reynold's Number can be controlled by adjusting the velocity and density of the fluid flowing over the cantilever beam. This can be achieved by changing the flow rate or using different fluids with varying densities. Additionally, the characteristic length of the cantilever beam can also be adjusted to alter the Reynold's Number.