Effects of the Variation of the Parameters of the Standard Model

In summary: But I think it would be impossible to envisage universes which arose from different initial conditions as they would be totally different from ours.
Dmitry67
Hi

I know that our world is quite unstable and minor changes in these parameters could make the existence of life impossible.

However, I am interested in what exactly is going to happen if we start to increase/decrease any of 30 parameters. It is interesting how well-tuned these parameters are.

• Some minor variations can lead to a slightly different universe - say, Lead (Pb) can be unstable while Uranium may become stable. Or, elements are stable or too unstable (then "humankind" in such universe can not develop a nuclear bomb. But there are no unstable elements is the core then they don't decay and Earth core is too cold. No marnetic field around the planet? life is burnt by cosmic rays?)
  • Bigger variation can make the number of different nuclei too small to allow the life to develop.
  • And even bigger difference can completel destroy everything, like, no stablenuclei, or no fusion in stars, or stars burning too rapidly.

I know it requires too many calculations and if requires knowledge from the different fields of research, but I wonder if there are such researches at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should think of the parameter values as the initial conditions that define the universe. Of course changing the fine structure constant NOW would turn everything to soup, but it could be the case that a hell of a lot of parameter combinations create a "stable universe", but these other universes are impossible to envisage as they would come about through evolution from different initial conditions.

Yes, yes, I meant the variation of the initial parameters ('before' the Big bang, not NOW)

Why do you say 'impossible to envisage'?
We know most of the processes which are required for our current universe to look as it looks now (because the the CP violation not all matter had annihilated, diproton shouldn't be stable, nuclei with 8 and 5 hardrons shouldn't be stable, neutron shouldn't be stable but it shouldn't be very short lived either, etc, etc, etc)

So we just need to check how these variations affect these links and we'll see what link will break first.

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework in particle physics that describes the fundamental particles and three of the four fundamental forces of nature. It has been extensively tested and is considered the most accurate and successful model for understanding the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.

2. How do parameters affect the Standard Model?

The parameters in the Standard Model are numerical values that govern the behavior and interactions of particles. Changes in these parameters can have significant effects on the predictions and outcomes of experiments, as they determine the strength and range of the forces between particles.

3. What are the consequences of varying the parameters of the Standard Model?

Varying the parameters of the Standard Model can lead to changes in the behavior and properties of particles, such as their masses and interactions. This can have implications for the stability of the universe, the production of new particles, and the accuracy of the model's predictions.

4. How do scientists study the effects of varying the parameters of the Standard Model?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental data to study the effects of varying the parameters of the Standard Model. This involves simulating different scenarios and comparing the results to observations from particle accelerators and other experiments.

5. What are the potential discoveries that could arise from studying the effects of varying the parameters of the Standard Model?

Studying the effects of varying the parameters of the Standard Model could potentially lead to the discovery of new particles, new interactions between particles, and a better understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. It could also help scientists refine the model and potentially lead to the development of a more comprehensive theory that can explain all of the known phenomena in the universe.