Finding temperature from entropy

In summary, the conversation discusses determining entropy and its relation to state and energy. The speaker is unsure how to proceed with replacing 'n' in the entropy expression and asks for help or suggestions.
jorgen
Hi all,

I have determined the entropy previously which gives the following results

S = k*(N Log N - n Log n -(N-n)*Log(N-n)

I have furthermore deduced the relation between state n and the energy as

[tex]n = \frac{E+N*\epsilon}{2*\epsilon}[/tex]

I know that the temperature is

[tex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial E}=\frac{1}{T}[/tex]

I am not quite sure how to proceed - I could replace small n with an expression containing the energy but what about capital N - should I isolate that from the relation and insert that into the entropy expression and then differentiate with respect to the energy - any hints or commands appreciated thanks in advance.

Best
J

Physics news on Phys.org
Replacing 'n' in your expression for the entropy seems like a good start to me. The next question is "which variables are held fixed when you compute the partial derivative of S with respect to E"? ...Surely if 'N' is fixed during this differentiation, the problem is simplified.:wink:

What is the relationship between temperature and entropy?

The relationship between temperature and entropy is that as temperature increases, entropy also increases. This means that the more energy a system has, the more disorder and randomness it will have, which is measured by its entropy.

How do you find temperature from entropy?

To find temperature from entropy, you can use the equation T=S/q, where T is temperature in Kelvin, S is entropy in Joules per Kelvin, and q is the quantity of heat transferred. By rearranging the equation, you can solve for T and find the temperature.

Can you find temperature from entropy if there is no heat transfer?

No, you cannot find temperature from entropy if there is no heat transfer. The equation T=S/q requires the value of q, which represents the amount of heat transferred. Without this value, it is not possible to calculate the temperature from entropy.

Why is entropy used to measure temperature?

Entropy is used to measure temperature because it is a more universal and reliable indicator of the disorder and randomness of a system. Temperature alone does not fully capture the complexity of a system, while entropy takes into account the arrangement and distribution of energy within a system.

Can temperature and entropy be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, temperature and entropy can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. A reaction will favor the direction that increases the entropy of the system, or decreases the energy. This can be determined by comparing the entropies of the reactants and products, along with the temperature at which the reaction is taking place.