Question concerning math major and computer science (degree related)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether it is better to have a double major in Applied and Computational Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science, or to have only a double major in Applied Mathematics with extra units. The person is unsure of what would be preferred by employers and mentions their intention to pursue a graduate degree. They also mention that they were originally planning to major in Chemistry but decided to pursue Computational Mathematics due to the importance of computers in the field. The other person shares their opinion that two mathematics degrees may not have much impact on employment and that the skills gained from classes may be more important. They also mention that graduate school will matter more than a minor.
Orphen89
I originally posted this in the mathematics thread but since I need as many replies asap (because I need to choose my timetable for this semester) I figured I should make a topic instead.

Basically, for my degree I'd like to double major in Applied and Computational Mathematics. However I am unsure what I should add to my degree from here - at the moment, I have a few extra units to add to it, but I don't know whether I should add some Computer Science units to it so that I can get a Double Major in Applied and Computational Maths and have a Computer Science Minor, or if I should add more Applied Mathematics units so that I can have a better mathematics major.

Initially, I wanted to have a CS minor, however there are a few Applied Mathematics unit I will be missing out on if I do get one e.g. Fluid Dynamics, Mathematics in Finance (in case I want to go into banking/economics later), and Real Analysis (which I heard is an important unit in any math major).

What would be better, and what would employers prefer in a degree? A double major in maths and a minor in CS, or only a double major in maths but with extra units? Also, will the Computational math major cover most of what is required for a minor in Computer Science?
(I don't know if this is important, but I do intend on doing a graduate degree once I've finished my bachelors)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm double majored in Pure Math (not applied) and Computer Science.

My opinion is that 1: Two mathematics degrees probably won't do much in terms of employment (more so than 1) and 2: The technical skills you pick up in those classes are probably better resume builders than the minor itself. I'm sure someone who actually works and hires people will refute this, but this is what I would think employers would think (or more accurately, what I hope they would think).

The research you do in graduate school and your graduate degree will matter more than a minor will though.

descendency said:
I'm double majored in Pure Math (not applied) and Computer Science.

My opinion is that 1: Two mathematics degrees probably won't do much in terms of employment (more so than 1)

That's initially what I thought, and I instead was going to major in Chemistry along with Applied Maths. However, after checking out various job opportunities for Applied Mathematicians I found that computers played a big part, so I decided to double major with computational maths instead.

It's good to know that grad school will more or less make the CS minor negligible though, because I really would prefer to have a more in-depth maths degree instead of missing out on one or two subject which could be important in the future.

1. What is the difference between a math major and a computer science major?

A math major focuses on the study of mathematical concepts and theories, while a computer science major involves the application of mathematical principles to the development and analysis of computer systems and algorithms.

2. Can I pursue a double major in math and computer science?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a double major in math and computer science. However, it may require careful planning and a heavier course load.

3. How do math and computer science complement each other in terms of career opportunities?

Math and computer science are highly complementary fields, as many careers in computer science involve the use of advanced mathematical concepts and algorithms. A combination of both majors can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as finance, data analysis, and software development.

4. Are there any specific skills or courses that are important for a math major interested in computer science?

Some important skills for a math major interested in computer science include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages, and knowledge of data structures and algorithms.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of pursuing a double major in math and computer science?

A double major in math and computer science can be challenging and may require a heavy workload. It may also limit the time available for extracurricular activities or internships. Additionally, it may take longer to complete both majors, resulting in a higher cost of education.