Best GRE Prep Book for Quantitative

In summary: I can only speak from my experience. In my institute, almost every person who wrote the GRE got 800 in the quant section. In my opinion, the only way you are going to loose points, is because you weren't familiar with the format of the test, had a problem with time management or silly errors.
unhorizon
Hey,

Can anyone recommend me a GRE prep book that helped them prepare for the quantitative section of the GRE? It probably doesn't come as much of a surprise because of the forum we are on, but I am shooting for an 800 in quant, so I obviously don't need an extremely basic review book. I want something that will give me tips for the hardest math questions. So any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, the type of questions on the quantitative section on the GRE is ridiculously easy, and is at the middle school/early high school level.

The only issue may be getting used to the computer format of the test, and making sure you have enough time to do all the questions. ETS should mail you a CD with practice tests when you register. You can also download the software from their website. I think that is more than adequate practice.

You're right, getting an 800 will be no problem, sorry for asking.

haha. I hope that last post was sarcasm.

It's good to go in confident, but not cocky. If you don't prepare well for something you are naturally going to under perform.

His response was prompted by siddharth
it was similar to

A-"Do you know of any books to prepare for PGRE?""

B-"I killed that exam,it was childsplay to get a 990 and I only used the practice exam they sent me. You might have trouble bubbling the answers. Buy a good eraser."

A-"ok."

There are a few computer based prepare for GRE options and books. You could also use some SAT problems.

^ Well, the reason Siddharth was so flippant about it is that the GRE quantitative part should be trivial to anyone in a field remotely quantitative (math, physics, engineering, etc.). It doesn't cover any calculus, and so it is a lot like the SAT math test. Now, I could see it being difficult for someone who hasn't used any math in four years.

The GRE quantitative section obviously is not trivial for anyone in a math related field seeing as how the average for all engineers is about 750. Thank you, though, I know never to ask a question on this forum again.

Manchot said:
^ Well, the reason Siddharth was so flippant about it is that the GRE quantitative part should be trivial to anyone in a field remotely quantitative (math, physics, engineering, etc.). It doesn't cover any calculus, and so it is a lot like the SAT math test. Now, I could see it being difficult for someone who hasn't used any math in four years.

If it was that trivial the average would be 800 not 750. Even something as simple as adding needs practice if you want to get it 100% right even in high pressure situations. You only reinforced the lack of any advice in this thread.

unhorizon said:
The GRE quantitative section obviously is not trivial for anyone in a math related field seeing as how the average for all engineers is about 750. Thank you, though, I know never to ask a question on this forum again.

I would assume the average is 750 because they made a careless mistake, not because they didnt know how to answer the question.

Preperation should focus on test taking ability and answer checking. The material itself is so easy its a little sickening.

unhorizon said:
I obviously don't need an extremely basic review book. I want something that will give me tips for the hardest math questions. So any suggestions?

j93 said:
Even something as simple as adding needs practice if you want to get it 100% right even in high pressure situations.

GRE Verbal must be challenging.

If it was that trivial the average would be 800 not 750. Even something as simple as adding needs practice if you want to get it 100% right even in high pressure situations. You only reinforced the lack of any advice in this thread.

I can only speak from my experience. In my institute, almost every person who wrote the GRE got 800 in the quant section. In my opinion, the only way you are going to loose points, is because you weren't familiar with the format of the test, had a problem with time management or silly errors.

This is why I suggested that unhorizon do the official practice tests released by ETS. The syllabus covered is very very easy. I don't think you need to waste money on a preparatory book which reviews pythagorus theorem, eqn of a straight line, etc if you studied engineering :rolleyes:

Last edited:
um... really? all he asked for were some recommendations for good practice books, and all some of you have to offer is belittlement of people who find math a little harder than you?

1. What is the best GRE prep book for quantitative?

The best GRE prep book for quantitative will vary depending on individual learning styles and needs. However, some popular options include the "Official GRE Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions" book by ETS, "Manhattan Prep GRE Quantitative: 5 lb. Book of Practice Problems" and "Cracking the GRE Premium Edition with 6 Practice Tests."

2. What makes a good GRE prep book for quantitative?

A good GRE prep book for quantitative should have a comprehensive coverage of all the relevant topics, clear explanations and examples, and plenty of practice questions with detailed answer explanations. It should also align with the latest GRE test format and provide useful test-taking strategies.

3. Is it necessary to use a specific GRE prep book for quantitative?

No, it is not necessary to use a specific GRE prep book for quantitative. However, using a well-reviewed and popular prep book can provide a structured study plan and reliable practice questions, which may improve your chances of success on the GRE.

4. Can I solely rely on a GRE prep book for quantitative to prepare for the exam?

No, it is not recommended to solely rely on a GRE prep book for quantitative to prepare for the exam. It is important to supplement your studies with other resources such as online practice tests, study guides, and tutoring to ensure a well-rounded preparation for the GRE.

5. Are there any free GRE prep books for quantitative?

Yes, there are some free GRE prep books for quantitative available online, such as "CrunchPrep's Free GRE Quantitative Book," "Kaplan's Free GRE Quantitative Practice Book," and "Nova's GRE Math Prep Course." However, keep in mind that these free resources may not be as comprehensive or updated as paid prep books.