Roller coaster, ball attached to coaster by a string calculate various tension

In summary, the roller coaster car, with a suspended ball, is accelerated horizontally, goes up a 30° incline, down a 30° incline, and around a vertical circular loop of radius 25 meters. For parts (C) and (D), the horizontal component of the tension is 0 Newtons and 0.43 Newtons respectively, and the vertical component is 1 Newton and 0.75 Newtons respectively. These values were calculated using the equations F=ma and T=ma/cos(theta), where a=0 for constant speed and a=5 m/s^2 for acceleration. The incorrect values in the student's attempt may be due to not taking into account the gravitational force in the
yoyolala

Homework Statement

http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullscreencapture322009.jpg

Part of the track of an amusement park roller coaster is shaped as shown below. A safety bar is oriented length-wise along the top of each car. In one roller coaster car, a small 0.10 kilogram ball is suspended from this bar by a short length of light, inextensible string.

The car is then accelerated horizontally, goes up a 30° incline, goes down a 30° incline, and then goes around a vertical circular loop of radius 25 meters. For each of the four situations described in parts (B) to (E), do all three of the following. In each situation, assume that the ball has stopped swinging back and forth. 1) Determine the horizontal component Th of the tension in the string in Newtons and record your answer in the space provided. 2) Determine the vertical component Tv of the tension in the string in Newtons and record your answer in the space provided. 3) Show on the adjacent diagram the approximate direction of the string with respect to the vertical. The dashed line shows the vertical in each situation.

[[[[ I'm having trouble on parts C and D ]]]]] which look like...

http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullscreencapture322009.jpg

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure I got all the other parts right and I guess I'm just confused on parts c and d The answers are supposed to be:

(c) T horiz = 0N
T vert = 1N
(d) T horiz = .43 N
T vert = .75 N

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew FBD for parts C and D and my explanations are based off of those and I'm thinking maybe I didn't draw them right...

In part C:

for the horizontal component, I got the tension to be 0N because it says it is pulled up the incline with a constant speed therefore a=0.
F=ma a=0
Tsin(theta)=0
T=0 N

And for the vertical component
F=ma a=0
Tcos(theta)-mg=0
solve for T where m=.1 kg and theta=30 degrees
T= 1.13 N which isn't right

In part D:

totally got this wrong...

Moves down the incline with a=5.0 m/s^2

For the horizontal component of the tension:
F=ma
Tsin(theta)=ma
T= (ma) / sintheta where a=5, and theta=30
T=1.0N? Not right

For the vertical component of the tension:

F=ma
Tcos(theta)-mg=ma
T=(ma+mg)/(costheta) where a=5, and theta=30
T= 1.71 N ??

Help...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm completely off here, I'm also a student stuck on the same problem, but the vertical tension force would always include the gravitational force downward, which would equal 1 Newton, as you figured out in a. At least for the vertical component, that may be the issue.

1. How does the tension in the string affect the motion of the ball on the roller coaster?

The tension in the string is directly related to the acceleration of the ball on the roller coaster. As the tension increases, the ball will experience a greater force and therefore accelerate more, resulting in a faster motion. Conversely, a decrease in tension will result in a slower motion for the ball.

2. What factors influence the tension in the string for a ball on a roller coaster?

The tension in the string is influenced by several factors, including the velocity of the ball, the angle of the string, and the mass of the ball. The faster the ball is moving, the greater the tension will be. If the string is at a steeper angle, the tension will also increase. Additionally, a heavier ball will require more tension to maintain its motion on the roller coaster.

3. Is the tension in the string constant throughout the entire ride on the roller coaster?

No, the tension in the string will vary throughout the ride on the roller coaster. As the ball moves through different parts of the track, the tension will change due to the varying forces acting on the ball. For example, the tension will increase as the ball moves up a hill and decrease as it moves down a drop.

4. How does the length of the string affect the tension in a roller coaster ride?

The length of the string will have an impact on the tension in a roller coaster ride. A longer string will result in a greater distance for the ball to travel, leading to a higher tension to maintain its motion. Conversely, a shorter string will require less tension to keep the ball moving along the track.

5. Can the tension in the string ever reach zero during a roller coaster ride?

No, the tension in the string cannot reach zero during a roller coaster ride. In order for the ball to maintain its motion and not fall off the track, there must be some tension present in the string. Even at the lowest point of the ride, there will still be a minimal amount of tension in the string to keep the ball moving.