Find the circulation using equation of motion

In summary, the circulation around the square defined by x=y=[-0.5*pi,0.5*pi] can be found by using the equations v=ui + vj, u=cos(x)sin(y), and v=-sin(x)cos(y). The direction of flow is determined by the equation of motion and not a rule. By plugging in the given values, it can be seen that the flow is at right angles to each side of the square, resulting in a total circulation of 0.
MaxManus

Homework Statement

v = ui + v j
u = cos(x)sin(y)
v = -sin(x)cos(y)
Find the circulation around randa to the square defined by: x = y = [-0.5*pi,0.5*pi]

Homework Equations

Is there a rule that says which sides on the square that get i and whics gets -i when you draw the square?

Physics news on Phys.org

The direction of flow is given by the equation of motion itself, not by any "rule".

Assuming that v is the velocity vector of a flow, taking x=0.5pi gives v = cos(0.5pi)cos(y)i- sin(0.5pi)sin(y)j= -i. Taking x= -05pi gives v= i.

Thanks, so it is like this?

right vertical line -j, x = 0.5*pi
left vertival line j, x = -0.5*pi
top horizontal line i, y = 0.5*pi
bottom horizontal line -i , y = -0.5*pi

MaxManus said:
Thanks, so it is like this?

right vertical line -j, x = 0.5*pi
left vertival line j, x = -0.5*pi
top horizontal line i, y = 0.5*pi
bottom horizontal line -i , y = -0.5*pi
I realized I had miscopied your formula and rewrote what I had.
At x= 0.5pi, cos(x)= 0 and sin(x)= 1 so v= -cos(y)j.
At x= -04pi, cos(x)= 0 and sin(x)= -1 so v= cos(y)j.
At y= 0.5pi, cos(y)= 0 and sin(y)= 1 so v= -cos(x)i.
At y= -0.5pi, cos(y)= 0 and sin(y)= -1 so v= cos(x)i.

In particular, notice that the flow is across the boundary of the square- at each point on the boundary, the flow is at right angles to the boundary so the total flow around the square is 0.

Thank you.

1. What is the equation of motion for finding circulation?

The equation of motion for finding circulation is the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant throughout its flow. This equation is represented as P + (1/2)ρv² + ρgh = constant, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, v is the velocity, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height of the fluid.

2. How does the equation of motion help in finding circulation?

The equation of motion helps in finding circulation by relating the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid at different points along its flow. By solving for the pressure and velocity at specific points, the circulation of the fluid can be calculated using the difference in pressure and velocity between those points.

3. What is the significance of circulation in fluid dynamics?

Circulation is a fundamental concept in fluid dynamics as it describes the motion and energy of a fluid in a closed loop. It is a measure of the strength of the vortex or rotation in a fluid and is important in understanding aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and other fluid flow phenomena.

4. Can the equation of motion be used for all types of fluids?

Yes, the equation of motion can be used for all types of fluids, including liquids and gases. However, it is important to note that the equation may need to be modified or adjusted for certain scenarios, such as compressible or non-Newtonian fluids.

5. How is circulation related to lift and drag in aerodynamics?

Circulation plays a crucial role in determining lift and drag in aerodynamics. In fact, the concept of circulation was first introduced by German mathematician Ludwig Prandtl to explain the lift generated by an airfoil. The circulation around an airfoil creates a pressure difference, resulting in lift, and also contributes to the drag force experienced by the airfoil.