Calculate Maximum Axial Force in Aluminum Bar

In summary, the maximum axial force that can be carried by the Aluminum bar with given dimensions is determined by the allowable stress of 200MPa. The relevant equations to solve for P are: allowable stress = P/A and E = deformation/L. After attempting and correcting the equations, make sure to check for units and remember that stress is a force transmitted through an area.
anon00
1. An Aluminum bar has the dimensions given in the attachment. if the allowable stress is 200MPa, determine the maximum axial force P allow that can be carried by the bar.

See attachment for the drawing

2. allowable stress=P/A, E=deformation/L, allowable stress=L/E

3. I attempted all of hte above. I am thinking something is missing.

Attachments

• problem.bmp
    269 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equations are currently incorrect. Study your textbook, list relevant equations, and post a valid attempt.

Hi anon,
Welcome to the board.
anon00 said:
2. allowable stress=P/A
Solve for P and watch out for units. Remember that stress is simply a force transmitted through some area, analogous to presssure.

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum axial force in an aluminum bar?

The formula for calculating maximum axial force in an aluminum bar is F = σ x A, where F is the maximum axial force, σ is the stress applied to the bar, and A is the cross-sectional area of the bar.

2. How do I determine the stress applied to the aluminum bar?

The stress applied to the aluminum bar can be determined by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the bar. This is known as the stress-strain relationship, and the stress can be measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What factors can affect the maximum axial force in an aluminum bar?

The maximum axial force in an aluminum bar can be affected by various factors, such as the material properties of the bar (including its strength and elasticity), the dimensions of the bar (such as its length and cross-sectional area), and the type and magnitude of the applied force.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my calculations for maximum axial force in an aluminum bar?

To ensure the accuracy of your calculations, it is important to use the correct formula and units for the variables involved. Additionally, using high-quality and precise measurements for the dimensions of the bar and the applied force will also contribute to the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate maximum axial force in other materials besides aluminum?

No, the formula for calculating maximum axial force in an aluminum bar is specific to this material and may not be applicable to other materials. Different materials have different properties and behaviors under stress, so it is important to use the appropriate formula for each material.