Interesting topic for technical presentation?

In summary, the speaker is seeking suggestions for an interesting technical topic for an upcoming presentation in their engineering-based public speaking class. They have considered topics such as general relativity, string theory, symbolic logic, and the mathematics of a Rubik's cube, but are concerned about keeping their peers engaged. They are looking for a topic that involves problem analysis and recommendations, such as comparing two processes or suggesting changes to a process.
DyslexicHobo
Hi all,

I have a presentation for my engineering-based public speaking class coming up. It must be technical in nature. I can't decide what would be easy enough for me to learn about while keeping it at a technical level and still interesting to my peers.

I've been thinking about:
A short introduction to general relativity
A short introduction to string theory
Symbolic logic and its uses in computing
The mathematics of a Rubik's cube

I've chosen these topics only because they interest me. I know a little bit about each; enough to give an educated 10 minute presentation with some research. I just have the feeling that all of these will be very boring to my peers, which is part of our goal. We must keep the audience interested.

Anyone have suggestions on an interesting technical topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
DyslexicHobo said:
Hi all,

I have a presentation for my engineering-based public speaking class coming up. It must be technical in nature. I can't decide what would be easy enough for me to learn about while keeping it at a technical level and still interesting to my peers.

I've been thinking about:
A short introduction to general relativity
A short introduction to string theory
Symbolic logic and its uses in computing
The mathematics of a Rubik's cube

In my opinion, you need to have some kind of problem, analysis and recommendation. Like, pick a process and find problems with it and suggest changes. Or, compare two processes.

I would suggest considering the topic of artificial intelligence (AI). It is a highly relevant and rapidly advancing field that has a lot of potential for interesting technical presentations. Some possible subtopics within AI could include machine learning, natural language processing, or computer vision. These topics not only have practical applications in various industries, but they also have a lot of current research and development happening, making them engaging and dynamic for your audience. Additionally, you could tie in current events or ethical considerations related to AI, making it even more thought-provoking for your peers. I hope this suggestion helps and good luck with your presentation!

1. What are some tips for choosing an interesting topic for a technical presentation?

When choosing a topic for a technical presentation, it's important to consider your audience and their level of understanding. Choose a topic that is relevant and interesting to your audience, and make sure it's not too broad or too narrow. Additionally, try to select a topic that you are passionate about and have a good understanding of.

2. How can I make my technical presentation engaging and interactive?

To make your technical presentation more engaging and interactive, consider using visual aids such as slides or videos to supplement your spoken content. You can also use interactive elements like polls, quizzes, or demonstrations to involve the audience. Encouraging questions and discussion throughout the presentation can also make it more interactive.

3. How can I effectively communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience?

When presenting technical information to a non-technical audience, it's important to avoid using jargon and technical terms. Instead, try to explain concepts in simple and easy-to-understand language. Use relatable examples and visuals to help the audience grasp the information. It's also helpful to anticipate potential questions and address them in your presentation.

4. How long should a technical presentation be?

The length of a technical presentation can vary depending on the topic and the audience. Generally, it's recommended to keep the presentation between 20-30 minutes to maintain the audience's attention. However, if you have a complex topic, it may require more time. It's important to practice and time your presentation beforehand to ensure you stay within the allotted time.

5. How can I make sure my technical presentation is well-organized and easy to follow?

To ensure your technical presentation is well-organized and easy to follow, start by creating an outline and identifying the main points you want to cover. Use clear and concise language, and break up the content into smaller sections with headings and subheadings. Make sure to include transitions between sections to help the audience follow along. You can also provide handouts or visual aids to help with organization and understanding.