Derivation of an Equivalent Spring Constant

In summary, the equivalent spring constant of a Beam cantilevered at both ends with a loading at its center is 1.2*PL.
Saladsamurai
Okay. I have been at this for two nights now. I want to derive, step by step, the equivalent spring constant of a Beam cantilevered at both ends with a loading at its center.

Here is a schematic with A=B=L/2
Picture3-12.png
Now I would like to use superposition to find the deflection at L/2 due to the loading. I know there are tables out there, but I want to "derive" this. (I know that I am not really deriving it since I am using superposition and tables...but bear with me).
Here are the equations I have at my disposal. Calling them from top to bottom 1-6,
I think that 1, 2, and 4 will prove the most useful, but I could be wrong.
Picture4-5.png

Now, if I replace the fixed end at the right with its reaction force and moment I have:

Picture5-4.png

=

Picture6-2.png

+

Picture7-1.png

+

Picture8.png

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
From inspection we can see automatically that the reaction forces at both ends are given by:

RA=RB=P/2

The moments are giving me trouble though. I believe M=(1/12)*PL according to my mechanics book. But I could be wrong.

Can someone confirm that? And that the direction of MB is indeed clockwise?

See if this helps...it's from the bible according to Roark's. I have done this problem a long time ago but I'd have to dig it up. This should be quicker by giving you something to shoot for. Notice the max deflection values at x=a.

Attachments

• double-cantillever.JPG
    double-cantillever.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 816
This problem difficult because you can't determine the reaction moments through equilibrium alone (statically indeterminate). Therefore you need to use information about the deflection to solve the problem.

With the symmetry of the problem you know:

[tex]y(0) = y(L) = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}_{x = 0} = \frac{dy}{dx}_{x = L/2} = \frac{dy}{dx}_{x = L} = 0[/tex]

Split the problem into two parts. Integrate the equation to get y' and y. Use the 3 relevant boundary conditions to solve for the two integration constants and the reaction moment Ma.

[tex] M(x) = EI \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = -M_{A} + \frac{P}{2}(x)[/tex]

Good luck

Attachments

• temp.PNG
    temp.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 769

What is an equivalent spring constant?

An equivalent spring constant is a single value that represents the combined stiffness of multiple springs connected in series or parallel. It is used to simplify calculations and analysis in systems with multiple springs.

How is the equivalent spring constant calculated for springs in series?

The equivalent spring constant for springs in series is calculated by adding the individual spring constants together. This is based on the principle that the total displacement of the system is equal to the sum of the displacements of each individual spring.

How is the equivalent spring constant calculated for springs in parallel?

The equivalent spring constant for springs in parallel is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual spring constant. This is based on the principle that the total force applied to the system is equal to the sum of the forces applied to each individual spring.

What is the significance of the equivalent spring constant in real-world applications?

The equivalent spring constant is important in real-world applications because it allows for simplified analysis of systems with multiple springs. It also helps in designing and optimizing spring-based systems for various applications such as in mechanical engineering, materials science, and structural engineering.

What are some limitations of using an equivalent spring constant?

One limitation of using an equivalent spring constant is that it assumes all springs in the system behave linearly, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the behavior of the system in dynamic situations or at extreme displacements. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of using an equivalent spring constant in any analysis or design.