Calculating Force from Ball-Bat Impact

• Thread starter 3.14159265358979
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Impact
In summary, a 0.3 kg ball with a velocity of 50 m/s [E] hits a bat and remains in contact for 0.02 seconds, leaving the bat with a velocity of 100 m/s [W]. The average force exerted on the bat can be calculated using the given information and is equal to 2300 N. Impulse is related to change in momentum, while average force is related to impulse.
a 0.3 kg ball moves toward a bat with a velocity of 50 m/s [E]. It is struck and the bat remains in contact with the ball for 0.02 seconds. The ball leaves the bat with a velocity of 100 m/s [W]. Calculate the average force exerted on the bat. (answer: 2300 N)

...i am just horrible at these types of questions...i understand what's going on, i just don't know how to solve it...thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
2.718281828459045 perhaps?

hilarious...i've heard it all a millions times...but can you please help me?

3.14159265358979 said:
hilarious...i've heard it all a millions times...but can you please help me?

Well, but I've only said it once..:wink:

To your question:
Try to state for yourself (for example as a reply in this thread) how impulse is related to change of momentum; and then, how average force is related to impulse.

Edit: Withheld after I saw arildno's post. :)

i got it...thanks for the hint..

1. How do you calculate the force of impact between a ball and a bat?

The force of impact can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the ball, and a is the acceleration of the ball upon impact.

2. What factors influence the force of impact in a ball-bat collision?

The force of impact is influenced by the mass and velocity of the ball, as well as the stiffness and weight of the bat. Other factors such as the angle of impact and the type of contact (e.g. direct hit or glancing blow) can also affect the force.

3. How is the force of impact affected by the properties of the bat?

The force of impact is directly affected by the weight and stiffness of the bat. A heavier and stiffer bat will produce a greater force of impact compared to a lighter and more flexible bat, all other factors being equal.

4. Can the force of impact be measured in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the force of impact can be measured using specialized equipment such as force plates or high-speed cameras. These tools can provide accurate measurements of the force exerted during a ball-bat collision in sports games like baseball or cricket.

5. How can the calculation of force from ball-bat impact be applied in other fields?

Calculating the force of impact between a ball and bat can have applications in a variety of fields, such as engineering and materials science. It can be used to study the durability and impact resistance of different materials, as well as to design better sports equipment and protective gear.