How Do Matrix Valued Propagators Interpret Fermion Amplitudes?

In summary, the fermion propagator involves the dot product of a 4 vector (momentum) and the gamma matrices. The result is a matrix.
Bobhawke
For scalar fields the propagator is just a number that represents the amplitude for a particle to go from one space time point to another.

For fermions, the propagator is matrix valued. What then is the amplitude for a fermion to go from one point to another? How are the elements of the matrix to be interpreted in terms of probability ampltudes?

Physics news on Phys.org
row-vector times matrix times column vector = number.

The fermion propagator involves the dot product of a 4 vector (momentum) and the gamma matrices. I am pretty sure the result is a matrix.

No, since the states are vectors... (4-spinors)

Have you never worked with relativistic quantum identities? What part of my first post did you not understand?

malawi_glenn said:
What part of my first post did you not understand?
The signature :uhh:

humanino said:
The signature :uhh:

shall I change it? :uhh:

But seriously, what is wrong with my explanation?

The fermion propogator IS a matrix, Bobhawke is correct. It is an outer product of spinors, not an inner product.

I think the answer he is looking for is [itex]S_{\alpha\beta}\equiv\langle T\psi_\alpha\bar{\psi}_\beta\rangle[/itex] is the amplitude for a fermion of polarization [itex]\alpha[/itex] to propogate to a fermion of polarization [itex]\beta[/itex].

Up to signs and whatnot!

Malawi_glenn: don't change your signature for anyone! :blushing:

blechman said:
[itex]S_{\alpha\beta}\equiv\langle T\psi_\alpha\bar{\psi}_\beta\rangle[/itex]
I think we agree, there is not much more to this equation than what malawi_glenn was writing in "row-vector times matrix times column vector". It is also written in "the states are vectors... (4-spinors)".

yes, the propagator is matrix, but the amplitude is a number. And that was the question, if the propagator is a matrix, what will happen to the amplitude.

Bobhawke said:
For fermions, the propagator is matrix valued. What then is the amplitude for a fermion to go from one point to another? How are the elements of the matrix to be interpreted in terms of probability ampltudes?

I think that is the question I answered. The matrix elements of the propagator are the amplitudes for the polarization states to propagate.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Bobhawke said:
For scalar fields the propagator is just a number that represents the amplitude for a particle to go from one space time point to another.

Actually, the propagator is generally the propagation from a source.

So in QED the photon is propagated from the transition current (the interference
pattern caused by an electron in two momentum states) and the electron is
propagated from the interference term [itex]e\gamma^\mu\,A_\mu\psi[/itex]

Bobhawke said:

It is indeed the amplitude per polarization state but there are some interesting
details about the interplay between SU(2) and U(1). For instance in a magnetic
field B the energy will be different per polarization state:

[tex]\binom{~~\exp(-i[E+\Delta E]t)~~}{~~\exp(-i[E-\Delta E]t)~~} ~~=~~ \binom{~~\exp(-i\Delta Et)~~}{~~\exp(+i\Delta Et)~~}~\exp(-iEt})[/tex]

At the RHS the energy is the same for both states but the spinor represents
a precessing spinor around the direction of the magnetic field. Note that:

[tex] x\uparrow=\binom{1}{1}, ~~y\uparrow=\binom{1}{i},~~x\downarrow=\binom{1}{-1}, ~~y\downarrow=\binom{1}{-i}[/tex]

(up to an overal factor of [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex])

Regards, Hans.

1. What is a matrix valued propagator?

A matrix valued propagator refers to a mathematical object used in quantum field theory to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is typically represented by a matrix of numbers and can be used to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another.

2. How is a matrix valued propagator calculated?

The exact method for calculating a matrix valued propagator depends on the specific quantum field theory being studied. However, it typically involves solving a set of differential equations using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory or path integrals.

3. What is the significance of the matrix structure in a matrix valued propagator?

The matrix structure of a propagator reflects the fact that quantum systems can exist in multiple states simultaneously, known as superposition. The different elements of the matrix represent the probability amplitude for the particle to be in a specific state at a given time.

4. How does a matrix valued propagator relate to Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are a graphical representation of the mathematical calculations involved in calculating a matrix valued propagator. Each line in the diagram represents a propagator, and the interaction between particles is represented by vertices where lines meet.

5. What are some real-world applications of matrix valued propagators?

Matrix valued propagators are used in various fields of physics, including particle physics, quantum mechanics, and quantum field theory. They have also been applied in engineering and computer science, particularly in the development of quantum computing algorithms.