Quantum Mechanics Book: Intro Guide & Math Derivations

• Thread starter Xian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, this conversation is about finding a good book on introductory quantum mechanics. Several people mentioned different books, but one that they all agreed was good was Griffiths.
Xian
Hi guys, I'm looking for a good book on introductory quantum mechanics that is also really thorough in terms of mathematical derivations but still presents the physical concepts in a well written and enlightening manner. In other words, just a really really good introductory text on quantum mechanics. Thanks in advance guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how 'introductory' you are looking for, since you are (wisely) interested in mathematical rigor. I like Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics for introductory stuff, his Advanced QM would be too much, I'd imagine. Cohen-Tannoudji's two parter is not bad for derivations either, I found.

whybother, by mathematically "rigorous" I think he means given QM postulates, can one derive all the equations associated with introductory QM.

I share your pain.

I don't have a Quantum Mechanics book yet.

However, my dad is a Mathematician and he has book titled "Introduction to Hilbert Spaces and Applications." I perused through it recently when I was bored and found an 80 page section titled "Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics."

It is funny that I had that book with me.

Now that this thread has been moved to the Science Books forum, you might want to browse around here for other threads about QM books. :smile:

A.Z. Capri(Emeritus Professor in Alberta U.): Nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics, World Scientific, Singapore, 2002. Also with a further step of his Relativistic Quantum Mechanics.

I think Griffiths is still a good standard in intro QM.

Feldoh said:
I think Griffiths is still a good standard in intro QM.

I second the vote for Griffiths. Although I also recommend learning QM in conjunction with Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics. If you work through these two books you will know the better part of the undergraduate physics curriculum.

1. A.Z. Capri(Professor Emeritus in Alberta U., Canada): Nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics, World Scientific, Singapore, 2002, as well as Problems & solutions in nonrelativistic quantum mechanics. River Edge, N.J. : World Scientific, c2002. Also with a further step of his Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Introduction to Quantum Field Theory, River Edge, NJ : World Scientific, 2002.

2. Stephen J. Gustafson, Israel Michael Sigal. Mathematical concepts of quantum mechanics. Berlin ; New York : Springer, 2003.

Zettili

"mr tompkins in wonderland" is a very good introdutuary book on quantom mechanics

dont know if you will be able to find it though.

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of the universe and has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors and lasers.

2. What topics are typically covered in a quantum mechanics book?

A quantum mechanics book typically covers topics such as quantum states, wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, quantum measurement, and quantum entanglement. It may also cover more advanced topics such as quantum field theory and quantum computing.

3. What level of math is required to understand quantum mechanics?

A strong understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary to understand quantum mechanics. Some familiarity with complex numbers, differential equations, and vector spaces is also helpful.

4. Are there any real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of quantum mechanics. Some examples include transistors in electronic devices, lasers in medical and industrial equipment, and secure communication through quantum cryptography.

5. Is it possible to understand quantum mechanics without a background in physics?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is possible to understand the basic concepts of quantum mechanics without it. However, a strong understanding of math is necessary for a thorough understanding of the subject.