Nuclear vs Hadron Mass: Exploring the Paradox

• Thread starter kashiark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclei
In summary, the mass-gap problem is a mathematical problem that has a $1M prize for the solution and it is related to confinement.
kashiark
independently these two points make sense but when you put them together it seems as if they should be consistent: hadrons express the energy that holds them together as mass and the boson that expresses the force is massless; a portion of a nucleus's mass is expressed as energy - the energy that holds the nucleus together though the boson which transmits the force is massive; can anyone enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The nuclei mass is less than the sum of the masses of the constituents (nucleons). This is just default of mass due to binding energy. The fact that hadrons are much more heavy than their constituents is known as the "mass-gap" and it is much more complicated. It is a unique situation in the realm of bound states in general that the constituents are confined.

the nuclei makes sense but i don't understand the hadrons; I've seen some authors account the extra mass to the sea of virtual particles around it but because they're virtual they are unable to be detected including their mass or am i wrong? and if not all particles would appear to have more mass than they do (unless it has to do with confinement but i was under the impression that the only reason that the strong interaction is strong enough to enforce confinement was because of these virtual particles and the symmetry between the different color charges which results in the amplification of the force)

Last edited:
First I will not be able to give you a fully satisfactory answer, since the issue is not resolved. The mass-gap problem is a well-defined mathematical problem whose solution is worth $1M (Clay millennium problem).

Physically we have some hindsights. First, the vacuum inside hadrons is not the same as the vacuum outside. From this point you can understand why all this is related to confinement. Now in the vacuum inside hadron, you can picture valence quark propagating as constantly exchanging gluons between the other valence quarks. A gluon is pretty similar to, and willing to fluctuate into, a pair quark-antiquark. All those gluons and quark-antiquark pairs are virtual. So you may picture a naked valence quark with mass of a few MeV in the vacuum inside hadrons really as dressing into a constituent quark with mass around 300 MeV. This crazy claim is supported by more rigorous Dyson-Schwinger method to calculate the quark propagator (among other model calculations). I don't remember what chiral symmetry breaking has to say about "constituent mass" however.

ahh ok that makes sense and tyvm for answering so quickly!

1. What is the difference between nuclear and hadron mass?

The difference between nuclear mass and hadron mass lies in the particles that make up the two types of mass. Nuclear mass is the mass of the nucleus of an atom, which is made up of protons and neutrons. Hadron mass refers to the mass of hadrons, which are particles made up of quarks, such as protons and neutrons.

2. Why is there a paradox between nuclear and hadron mass?

The paradox arises because the mass of a nucleus is less than the combined mass of its individual protons and neutrons, while the mass of a hadron is greater than the combined mass of its quark constituents. This seems to contradict the law of conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed.

3. How is the paradox of nuclear vs hadron mass explained?

The paradox is explained by the concept of mass-energy equivalence, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc². This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, and that the mass of a system can be affected by its energy content. In the case of nuclear and hadron mass, the strong nuclear force that binds particles together contributes to the overall energy of the system, thus affecting its mass.

4. What experiments have been conducted to explore the paradox of nuclear vs hadron mass?

Scientists have conducted various experiments, such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactions, to study the properties of nuclear and hadron mass. These experiments have provided valuable data and insights into the nature of subatomic particles and the strong nuclear force.

5. What are the implications of understanding the paradox of nuclear vs hadron mass?

Understanding the paradox of nuclear and hadron mass is crucial for furthering our knowledge of the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe. It also has practical applications, such as in nuclear energy and nuclear medicine, where the precise measurement and manipulation of nuclear and hadron mass is necessary.